Skip to main content

Just Because I'm a Woman

"My mistakes are no worse than yours, just because I'm a woman." - Dolly Parton



I breathe an old soul in my being and I blame it entirely on my daddy. This weekend was rather moody with the grey clouds and my personal melancholy. I was lighting candles and going through old photos as yet again, I remembered my parents' death anniversary.

I truly believed in love stories when my father passed away on the 4th of August 1999. This is five years and a day after my mother's passing. He had followed his love. Over the years, I have fought with God about this robbery. I often question faith. I am not going to get into it on this platform. Today, in remembrance of the two beautiful souls whom I called mum and dad, I recollect memories.

 The Beach 

If I am to wed, the ceremony will be by the beach. When I die, please scatter my ashes by the sea. My next birthday, I am definitely celebrating it in Vilanculos. It's only when I came across photos of my family by  beach did all my choices make sense. I have an attachment to the beach. Living in Senegal, gave me opportunity to play with beach sand and make sand castles. My parents loved the beach so much, you would think we were mermaids. Pun intended! I love the smell of sea water, the sound of the waves and the vastness of the water body.

Dakar, 1988. My mother, myself and our nanny by the beach. [c] 

Dakar, 1991. My father, younger sister, family friend and myself. [c]


Mama the Style Icon

I always look like I don't care about what's on my body. Of late, sweats have become my day, night and anywhere wear. Don't judge me! But when I grow up and get out of this rut, I want to be like my mama. Mama had style! Looking through my mother's photos, she was the Pinterest board before the application ever came to life. She knew how to put clothes together. She had an amazing Afro. She even rocked the wigs and braids like the queen that she was. One of her sisters shared what she said before she passed away that, when the family would give away her clothes (kugovera nhumbi), they must give my older sister the red outfits - all of them. Apparently the red outfits were the expensive ones. I would so wear almost every outfit that my mother wore in the present time. She was so chic! 

Daddy's Music

My daddy was a total coconut! He also loved the United States of America. I believe that he probably would have migrated our family if he had the chance. Part of that love for the US of A, was ingrained in him through graduating from one of the most prestigious HBCUs. (You don't understand my excitement about Beychella last year!) I just thought of my daddy, an HU alumni. 

My father loved music so much! Actually, both my parents loved music. Though not musicians themselves, they filled our home with melodies and dance. My father loved rock & roll and country mostly. I knew every classic band from yesteryear because of my dad. I'm talking Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Bruce Springsteen, The Mamas and Papas, and Neil Diamond to name but a few. I became a fan of really old music. However, the soul in me loves the blues, Motown, funk and everything black and soulful! 


My father with his favourite toy in the early 80s. [c]


I recall daddy sitting by the radio, playing some country music. It was Dolly Parton's, 'Just Because I'm a Woman'. My dad sang with every fibre in him as he absorbed every lyric. He then sat me down and schooled me about the song. The topic would have been, 'Don't devalue yourself to double standards.' My father shared the most honest conversations that a man can have with his pre-teen daughter.

The conversation went like this, "One day, I hope to walk you down the aisle and hand you in marriage to your husband. I want you to remain pure until marriage. But to be honest, that might not happen - and if it doesn't, it doesn't make you any less of a woman." As the twang of the country guitars played in the background, my father continued, "You see, men often dishonour women who aren't virgins. They forget that they are the ones responsible for deflowering a young woman's virtue," he paused, "Let no man tell you that you are any less because you are a woman."

Bless, my daddy, he would have been a favourite with the ladies when it comes to pro-women movements. In my adulthood, I repel any male who uses double standard verbatim in conversations. Who are you to disqualify any woman because she doesn't possess the male anatomy? My daddy sang to me, "My mistakes are no worse than yours, just because I'm a woman."

Daddy set a standard!

As a grown woman, I have never let my gender limit me. I continuously work hard for what I want to be. I am creating the table  and seats so that others can find their place. That old country song continuously plays in my mind as a reminder of the advice from my first love.

Memories aren't created by things! They are a result of experiences and feelings.

Make the best of this thing called life. Leave pearls of wisdom. Share your favourite song and dance whilst doing it. And for every free second, spend it with the ones that you love...

...you don't know who might need that memory tomorrow!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...