Skip to main content

Just Because I'm a Woman

"My mistakes are no worse than yours, just because I'm a woman." - Dolly Parton



I breathe an old soul in my being and I blame it entirely on my daddy. This weekend was rather moody with the grey clouds and my personal melancholy. I was lighting candles and going through old photos as yet again, I remembered my parents' death anniversary.

I truly believed in love stories when my father passed away on the 4th of August 1999. This is five years and a day after my mother's passing. He had followed his love. Over the years, I have fought with God about this robbery. I often question faith. I am not going to get into it on this platform. Today, in remembrance of the two beautiful souls whom I called mum and dad, I recollect memories.

The Beach

If I am to wed, the ceremony will be by the beach. When I die, please scatter my ashes by the sea. My next birthday, I am definitely celebrating it in Vilanculos. It's only when I came across photos of my family by  beach did all my choices make sense. I have an attachment to the beach. Living in Senegal, gave me opportunity to play with beach sand and make sand castles. My parents loved the beach so much, you would think we were mermaids. Pun intended! I love the smell of sea water, the sound of the waves and the vastness of the water body.

Dakar, 1988. My mother, myself and our nanny by the beach. [c] 

Dakar, 1991. My father, younger sister, family friend and myself. [c]


Mama the Style Icon

I always look like I don't care about what's on my body. Of late, sweats have become my day, night and anywhere wear. Don't judge me! But when I grow up and get out of this rut, I want to be like my mama. Mama had style! Looking through my mother's photos, she was the Pinterest board before the application ever came to life. She knew how to put clothes together. She had an amazing Afro. She even rocked the wigs and braids like the queen that she was. One of her sisters shared what she said that, when the family would give away her clothes, they must give my older sister the red outfits - all of them. Apparently the red outfits were the expensive ones. I would so wear almost every outfit that my mother wore in the present time. She was so chic!

Just Because I'm a Woman

My daddy was a total coconut! He also loved the United States of America. I believe that he probably would have migrated our family if he had the chance. Part of that love for the US of A, was ingrained in him through graduating from one of the most prestigious HBCUs. (You don't understand my excitement about Beychella last year!) I just thought of my daddy, an HU alumni.

My father loved music so much! Actually, both my parents loved music. Though not musicians themselves, they filled our home with melodies and dance. My father loved rock & roll and country mostly. I knew every classic band from yesteryear because of my dad. I'm talking Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Bruce Springsteen, The Mamas and Papas, and Neil Diamond to name but a few. I became a fan of really old music. However, the soul in me loves the blues, Motown, funk and everything black and soulful!

My father with his favourite toy in the early 80s. [c]


I recall daddy sitting by the radio, playing some country music. It was Dolly Parton's, 'Just Because I'm a Woman'. My dad sang with every fibre in him as he absorbed every lyric. He then sat me down and schooled me about the song. The topic would have been, 'Don't devalue yourself to double standards.' My father shared the most honest conversations that a man can have with his pre-teen daughter.

The conversation went like this, "One day, I hope to walk you down the aisle and hand you in marriage to your husband. I want you to remain pure until marriage. But to be honest, that might not happen - and if it doesn't, it doesn't make you any less of a woman." As the twang of the country guitars played in the background, my father continued, "You see, men often dishonour women who aren't virgins. They forget that they are the ones responsible for deflowering a young woman's virtue," he paused, "Let no man tell you that you are any less because you are a woman."

Bless, my daddy, he would have been a favourite with the ladies when it comes to pro-women movements. In my adulthood, I repel any male who uses double standard verbatim in conversations. Who are you to disqualify any woman because she doesn't possess the male anatomy? My daddy sang to me, "My mistakes are no worse than yours, just because I'm a woman."

Daddy set a standard!

As a grown woman, I have never let my gender limit me. I continuously work hard for what I want to be. I am creating the table  and seats so that others can find their place. That old country song continuously plays in my mind as a reminder of the advice from my first love.

Memories aren't created by things! They are a result of experiences and feelings.

Make the best of this thing called life. Leave pearls of wisdom. Share your favourite song and dance whilst doing it. And for every free second, spend it with the ones that you love...

...you don't know who might need that memory tomorrow!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

Script My Life: The Perfect Holiday

It's not selfish to want more! It's actually the 25th of December! Oh, you thought that I would take a break from blogging. Not at all. Today, we watch a movie together. Let's find what holiday flick gets us into the spirit. I guess you're wondering why I dialed back to an 'old' movie. Well, I haven’t properly watched this 2007 movie. Imagine it's taken me 13 whole years to watch this holiday flick starring Gabrielle Union-Wade, Morris Chestnut, and the late Charlie Murphy. For those who still haven't watched the movie 'The Perfect Holiday' - spoiler warning. The movie follows two characters who will by the magic of Christmas meet. Before I go ahead, Queen Latifah plays mother Christmas who is the 'Christmas angel'. Terrence Howard is the 'Grinch-like' character named "Bah Humbug", who opposes the 'spirit of Christmas'. We meet Benjamin (Morris Chestnut) is an aspiring songwriter who attempts to break into the mu

Good Guy Isn't Always Mr. Right

Mr. Right isn't perfect, but he makes the relationship worth it. Bonjour mes amies! Comment allez-vous? What's the French phrase for, "I'm decent?" You will let me know as we progress. How have been your dates? I now need deposits into my PayPal account because your girl is pre-rich ...and hungry! Laughs hard. But no cap, I am hungry. I'm wishing that someone's Italian mother, aunt or grandma would just invite me for meals - breakfast, lunch, dinner, and gelato, and say to me, " Mangia, mangia !" So, my single ladies, as we continue to do the inner work, whilst making preparations to meet the King like Esther (from the Bible), let's get into class. We want to unlearn a certain batch of bachelors. Since the inception of this series, we have weighed in the pros and cons of the different suitors-to-be. Let's recap: the widower, divorcee, single dad, younger guy, foreigner, and player. I have shared my experiences with most, if not all, the

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

Script My Life: A Fall From Grace

I finally watched 'A Fall From Grace'.... And I don't know what y'all were complaining about, this flick was great! I am currently working from home during these perilous times of the terrifying COVID 19. The company that I work for made a conscious decision to protect its employees by permitting social distancing via staying at home. While I don't mind working in my pyjamas, this isolation would be ideal in a country with reliable electricity, a stable economy and adequate food supply. Please feel free to send donations, plus I need to make my rent, otherwise... A few months later, I finally got to view Tyler Perry’s, "A Fall From Grace". Premiered exclusively on Netflix, the film is a suspense/thriller written, produced, directed and starring Tyler Perry. Impressively, the film was shot in five days, clearly on a minimal budget. Perry is synonymous with featuring in his own movies from the Madea franchise, to 'Why Did I Get Married?', a

Positive Action for Building Nations

True activism is a deliberate decision to make a difference in people's lives... ...daily! I'm sick and tired of the keyboard ninjas who keep bullying individuals who won't take part in their 'clicktivism'. We get it, we are in a pandemic, you're at home and have a lot of free time. But harassing people won't change a thing. Before the internet Mandela, Lumumba, Machel, Che Guevarra, the Black Panthers took it to the ground. They were actively sacrificing their lives for what they believe in. But those were their choices. Whoever shared the same value, joined in. True activism is a deliberate decision to make a difference in people's lives daily . This is where the modern-day 'activist' gets it wrong. While hashtags push the conversation, if that disconnects with offline activities it makes no sense and offers no genuine change. Last week was very frustrating with people coming for me and my brand to 'speak up' and hashtag. One individual