Skip to main content

I'm Ready

Por qué me siento así, mi amor?




Lo podemos culpar a Cupido!  Bring on the tissues, and a tub of ice cream, and Amarula cream. Cupid really picked on me and not at the best time. And then 'Stupid Cupid' starts playing.

Bonjour single ladies! Forgive me for the dramatic entrance, but I feel like a hopelessly enamoured teenager. Remember le garçon du chocolat? Oui. Well, what started off as a crush, has developed into more. Could I be in-love? Umm... But I think that the sparks have fizzled out on his end. Throwing myself on the couch. 

Why am I this person, though? Am I setting myself up for possibly another heartbreak after recovering from a not so recent one? Like, le garçon du chocolat lives rent free in my mind, and mostly in my dreams. Am I supposed to feel like this actually? Gosh, I feel so embarrassed with my grown self.
 
So while, I'm manoeuvring through my emotions, let's talk about starting all over again with a renewed perspective. Gather around ladies, bring your wine glasses, I'm having my combination of milk and fermented marula fruits. 

I was playing Alicia Keys' soulful ballad "Unthinkable (I'm Ready)," and I pondered upon the lyrics. "If you ask me, I'm ready," keeps playing in my head. I then had a rhetorical question, am I ready? In the last post, we boarded Recovery Airlines where we experienced the journey to forgiveness and healing. We acknowledge the courage it takes to step back into having relationships after past disappointments. The key is to approach it with a fresh perspective, leaving behind any preconceived notions and embracing the opportunity for new beginnings. 




As I have highlighted about the journey to becoming, it's all about mindset. How we see ourselves, and how we speak to ourselves greatly influences our perspective. Energy begets energy, so if we are to manifest the love that we deserve, we ought to think 'in love'. It's important to shift our mindset and embrace personal growth. By focusing on self-improvement and self-love, we become better equipped to attract and nurture a healthy and fulfilling relationship. 

I will continuously quote from J Lo's, "Marry Me" character, Kat Valdez, "If you want something different, you have to do something different. So you make a different choice." Understanding that life is based mostly on our choices changes the stories that we write. Remember, stupidity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. Life is what you make it. So when getting back into pursuing and having romantic relationships, you need to choose different, and to move forward. But you can't enter into a new door without completely closing the previous one. How you leave is how you enter.

How you leave is how you enter.

Healing is an essential part of the journey. It is crucial to take the time to heal from past wounds, both emotional and psychological, in order to move forward with clarity and authenticity. Nobody deserves to pay for 'his mistakes', and you must try to just carry hand luggage into the new relationship. Believe me, it will give your partner ease to know that while they can carry your load, you have offloaded the baggage. Again, forgive those who hurt you in the past. Forgiveness is part of the healing process. Let's do the inner work ladies. Therapy, prayer, and a lot of self introspection is the true light at the end of the tunnel.

Throughout our journey to becoming our mantra is, 'intention, effort, and commitment.' Abeg, never move through life without these three fundamental elements particularly in relationships. While we are open to giving love another chance, or simply a chance, we need to walk in wisdom. The last thing we need is time wasted, hearts broken, and humiliation. Assess if the man pursuing you is setting clear intentions, putting in the effort, and committing to you for a loving, and reciprocal relationship.

Remember, love is a journey, and by embracing a new perspective, we open ourselves up to the possibilities that lie ahead.  It is through consistency and perseverance that we increase our chances of attracting a partner who is equally committed and ready for a long-lasting relationship. Now the question is, should we allow Cupid to shoot his arrows our way?

The answer is yes! I must say this is some good ice cream! Am I ready to embark on something new? Yes! I'm not sure about the outcome with le garçon du chocolat, but one thing that I am sure about is that I'm ready for a king - my king. With my heart on my sleeve, I roll out a cufflink reminding me to never beg a man to love you. A man who is certain and intentional about you will never leave you in limbo. 

Never beg a man to love you.

So ladies, hearts open, emotional condom on, and a positive attitude. As Alicia Keys sings, "It's so unbelievable, and I don't want to let it go. Something so beautiful, I just want to know." 

If you ask me, I'm ready!

A prochaine fois ....

....be open to to the possibility of love!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...