Skip to main content

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need.




For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head.

I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele.

"You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele.


Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact that I hate clowns makes no sense given that I entertain them. Will I ever learn? Yes, I'm going to be very hard on myself because I can't preach to y'all and not be accountable. I need to grow up. Pronto!

Welcome back to the Red Season, single ladies. As I explained before, the first part is the "Red Flag" series, and the next is the "Red Rose" series. As single ladies, we are unlearning, realigning, and reinventing ourselves as we become. Some of you are taking a spiritual hiatus from fermented grapes and the like. Let's gather around with our green tea and honey.

So, against my better judgement, I gave this guy a chance. I allowed him into my vicinity and entertained his texts. My older sister told me to channel my femininity, be his peace, and don't scare him away. My younger sister said, "Be fun." And I said, "I like him, so let's see." I should just affirm myself with Eleanor Roosevelt's quote, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Followed up by Maya Angelou: "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."

I tried the cool girl thing where I seem unbothered by inconsistencies. So he texts a lot. He will check in with me. Send VNs (I'm rolling my eyes). But when it comes to seeing each other physically, he is flakier than cornflakes. Now, I'm not an unreasonable woman. His line of work isn't your typical 9-to-5. So schedules might conflict or fail to synchronise. But as the old saying goes, you make time for the things or people that you care about. The lack of enthusiasm to make time (especially when he tells me himself that he has time) drives me un poco loco. Breathe. So after the last strike, I just said to myself, this is breadcrumbing. I know this script.  Ladies and gentlemen, he's graduated from being Beetlejuice to Hansel and Gretel.

There's a statement in Shona that says, "Mafufu egonzo" (Loosely translated, "rat crumbs"). Who has received breadcrumbs in their dating or relationships, by show of hands? What is breadcrumbing? It is a situation where one person leaves behind a trail of breadcrumbs for someone else to find, leading back to them. Simply put, someone is leading you on by giving you just enough time and attention to keep you interested but with no intention of making a commitment.
 
Red flag: Responding inconsistently and not following up about plans are clear signs of breadcrumbing.
 
What does breadcrumbing look like? They say actions speak louder than words, but a breadcrumber is more silent than a mummy's tomb. If you love sweet nothings, they will fill your imagination and hopes with lots of decadent words that mean nothing to them. You'll be preoccupied with them, while they won't be preoccupied with you. In fact, you're an afterthought.
 
If I wasn't guilty of blue ticking people on WhatsApp or responding in my head, I would be livid. But I've given this guy leeway with his bad communication habits. It seems that he and I are now on a daily "textationship," although responses aren't as enthusiastically immediate. However, typical breadcrumb behaviour includes inconsistent communication. They give you just enough to keep you thinking that they are interested, followed by periods of complete silence to push you away.

Brandy's "Almost doesn't count" plays as I ponder the breadcrumbing behaviour that brought me here — no date. Actually, it's a combination of the lack of a date and the plans with no follow-through. A breadcrumber may be consistent with the texts, seeming interested in getting to know you and being flirty, but there's a catch. If you ask them to set a time to meet, those requests may be met with excuses, ambiguous responses, or flat-out rejection. This is followed up with a suitcase of pseudo-sincere apologies.
 
Oh yes, if and when you finally do make plans with someone who breadcrumbs, they're likely to cancel. They will usually come up with the most logical reason for their inability to keep their commitment to seeing you. For me, this is borderline gaslighting.
 
They inflate your hopes like a helium balloon about spending time together, only to shoot a cannonball and completely let you down. Again, one makes time for the things or people that they care about. We'll have to read the room and between the lines. 

Do you remember Lasizwe's sketch about when a guy doesn't want you? Note to self.




They're less interested in you than you are in them. While you try to get to know them by engaging in conversation, they aren't trying to connect on a deeper level. Whatever energy that you are sending, they are definitely not on that boomerang level. If you feel like the worst version of yourself, then you are being "breadcrumbed". 

Now that we are here, what do we do? First of all look inside yourself and decide, is this what I deserve? I believe that no matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. You aren't being unreasonable in seeking to be treated with humanity. If someone isn't interested in you in the same manner as yourself, it's okay. Rejection is a human badge of honour - you win some, and lose some. What we don't want is to have our time wasted. And yet still, our emotions toiled with.

Remember what you deserve.




If this 'situation', or 'relationship' is a fountain that you don't think that you want to drink from, then make a clear decision to walk away. Having healthy boundaries is crucial for any healthy relationship. So if you need to strap on the emotional condom,  then set boundaries. Show the breadcumber how you want and expect to be treated. Decide if the 'relationship' is worth continuing and if it's worth putting your energy into it.

Ignorance isn't bliss, be aware of this red flag in your future interactions. Have self-respect and love to experience a deep connection with someone on a similar wavelength. Life is already too short. As I once shared about inexpensive dates to go on, "The thought counts, the effort impresses and the right intentions win a woman's heart." So, no excuses.

The thought counts, the effort impresses and the right intention win a woman's heart.

Remember ladies, "intention, effort, and commitment."

This is our season of change. The change begins within. While we can't control who we attract, we have full control over whom we entertain. Again,  if you want a king, stop entertaining court jesters."

Now let's go to that quiet place, breathe and let go ... and grow!

A prochaine fois ....

... keep on BECOMING!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Auld Lang Syne ... Maybe Not All the Time

Sometimes the end is a new beginning!  It's a new year! To be more precise, the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty-two. According to the Hebrew calendar the year is 5782.  The crossover into 2022 was particularly dull due to the curfew. When we say that the pandemic is a buzzkill, the sentiment is real. As a staunch believer in the saying, "How you leave is how you enter," I often enjoy spending my time in church. The service prior to the countdown often invigorates my faith. Praying and seeding on the first day of the 365 or 366 is comforting. Unfortunately, the authorities ensured that the gathering of the saints wouldn't happen on their watch. We had to sit and watch the livestream from home. As the new year came, I started to think of the song synonymous with the new year. Auld Lang Syne. Based on the 18th century Scottish song, the words read: Should Old Acquaintance be forgot, and never thought upon; The flames of Love extinguished, and fully past a...

7 Ways to Sage Your Space

Unlearn and burn your inhibitions... We grew up socialised into certain behaviours and beliefs that are sometimes unhealthy for our mental wellbeing. These factors contribute to brokeness, poverty mentality and self loathing. Many of us may experience stunted emotional, spiritual and mental growth due to past experiences and beliefs. But the cycle needs to be broken now. Our generation is privileged to acknowledge the unhealthy patterns in our lives. We have the ability to unlearn mindsets that have prevented us from living our best lives. I have been on my journey to healing for the past four years. The journey to healing and self love isn't an easy one. It does help to realise that there is so much to you than what meets the eye. Your healing begins by spring cleaning your life. It's out with the old, and in with what you carefully choose to enter. This cleaning applies to every aspect of your life. As we go into the second half of the year, let's reevaluate ou...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...