Skip to main content

Dirty Laundry Diaries: Hurts Like a Mother F***er

My humanity will let me hurt as much as I can and be unapologetic for it…






I never thought that I would find myself at this place again. Over the past few years, I learnt the word ‘No’ and embraced my power to reject mediocrity. Be it work, life and even romantic relationships. Sigh! I recently found myself breaking almost every rule of every self-help book that I’ve read. Reading is supposed to empower you with knowledge and also help you with making better life choices! Anyway, I recently had to break it off with some guy because of ‘incorrect assumptions’, when will I ever learn?

"In my own rule book, 
CONSISTENCY is very important."


In my own rule book, CONSISTENCY is very important. The moment that there is lack of consistency during the dating period or in a relationship it’s, “Off with his head” (In the voice of the queen of hearts). Sic! But what started off well, ended up like the familiar script that I have writing about for a long time. As Whitney Houston and Deborah Cox sang, “Same Script, different cast” but I hope to change the narrative as soon as I learn my lesson. I won’t lie the other day when I saw him after a whole week, it was so cold like Siberia. You could feel the tension tighten the mood in the room like a hangman’s noose.

I really liked this guy…like really liked him. A typical Sagittarian – rebellious, exciting and free spirited, I felt drawn to him. But the attraction wasn’t immediate. His persistence and consistency then attracted me to him. Intuitively, I knew that he and I were not compatible to say the least, because my attraction to him wasn’t instant. Yet somehow, he was my ‘type’…the egotistic, asshole! Now we all know that these have been the types that I have been avoiding for the past few years. I have made a conscious decision to pick the ‘nice’ guy, who’s often awkward and shy yet relationship types. It hasn’t always worked in my favour but at least I have tried to make better choices.

Well, the ‘poor’ choice with this one, was that a part of me, starving for some attention and perhaps intimacy began to believe in his advances. Ever had someone not take ‘No’ for an answer? Well, at first it was the most annoying thing but somewhat it became endearing. Look if a guy pursues you for a long time, despite you swerving him, he might be worth the ‘try’.

Oh well, recently what seemed like a river flowing in the right direction started to have rocks blocking the way. There was no longer consistency in communication, time spent together and even affection. It was time to cut the umbilical cord, but the decision wasn’t easy. Part of me thought that maybe I was being immature and hasty, but the other part, would not tolerate excuses and disrespect. What many of us are afraid of, is choosing to be alone. We crave companionship so much that we will take, scrapes of attention and crumbs of love. We have a, ‘as long as I have someone’ attitude and suffer internally. But Nina Simone said, “You've got to learn to leave the table when love's no longer served,” a friend of mine, expanded the statement, “…when love is no longer served the way you want it.”

You've got to learn to leave the table
When love's no longer being served.
― Nina Simone

It wasn’t love, however, one cannot put fuel in a car that’s heading nowhere. The red flags were signalling and while he pretended that his excuses were legitimate, I knew that it was déjà vu. But here’s the deal, I did not blame him for his inconsistencies, I took responsibility that I accepted such bull shit. To be honest, even the feeling of liking someone and then breaking it off, just  hurts as bad as an invested relationship.

In this day and age, companionship is like a jungle and technology makes it even harder. It now changes what one defines as 'deal breakers' and 'standards'. If you text then be consistent with the texts but a relationship isn't based on texts. Texts are part of the package, the effort and consistency should be put more in time spent together. The individual with intentions to be with you or your partner should prove that despite their 'busy' schedule, you are a priority. Poltergeist behaviour in the first few days or weeks, is a red flag,...that's a "Deuces!"

What I refuse to do and even encourage is the victim stance. I have taken responsibility for my misguided choice. I acknowledge that I already knew that there was a lukewarm vibe yet I still gave it a 'try'. Trying isn't a bad thing because you never know, but there's need for wisdom. The take from yet another 'poor' choice is to make better choices, with wisdom.

The take from yet another 'poor' choice is to make better choices, with wisdom.

It takes a lot to like someone like that, so while we can hide under the guise of nonchalant attitudes, it hurts. Like a heartbreak, there is the grieving process but once it's done, an epiphany comes! What the hell was I thinking?

But in the meantime...

There's that little ache, that hurts like a mother f***er!

P.S. : Always write your own love story.

Lady E

Ciao!

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

MPV.....my point of view!

Don't take anything personal because it's my point of view! But if you can relate, let's have this conversation. I began my journey with my point of view last year,however to give you a feel of my writing you can follow my facebook timeline for Elspeth Chimedza (my birth name). All my blogs are posts titled MPV....my point of view! The topics are: Single ladies        Coyote Ugly                                           Serendipity                                                               The Great expectations Script My life:Love Jones The Promise:When I Say I do! Stripped Single Ladies Part2 Swagger Like My Daddy Rated R Make It Work It's not you....maybe it's me Girl Power Stupid In l...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...