Skip to main content

The Look of Love

I appreciate Roberta Flack and Peabo Bryson’s ‘Looking Like Love’...





“Oh,oh, you’re looking like love to me.” By now, at my age, I should be a connoisseur of what ‘love’ looks like, feels like and should be. In actual fact, I should be happily in love and over the moon, yet I'm not. At times, through my journey, I have returned to my shell. I am sure at other times, I’m absolutely confused like an adolescent whose hormones are raging whilst still trying to figure themselves out. 

I am a fan of Roxette’s ‘If Must Have Been Love’. Apart from executing it well, vocally, I relate to it lyrically. A while back, using my poetic ‘ego’, I wrote a poem titled, ‘It Looked Like Love, But It Wasn’t’. I was actually listening to Roxette when I wrote the poem. One day I would love to perform it in front of a crowd that would probably connect to it.

“And as I keep on playing Roxette,  
I'm reminded of how I thought that you were heaven sent 
Sent to rebuild what had been destroyed 
From the remnants of my pain 
To wipe away the tears of yesterday 
You looked like love but you weren't 
You felt like love, but you never lasted 
But you were a beautiful dream 
Whilst my eyes were wide open.”

After Sagittarius, I have had time to review yet again, my love life. I sometimes think that I’m predestined to be other women’s mistakes in love. Someone out there is reading this blog, or listening to me coach them in the ‘do not’s of love’. I wish that I was an expert but I’m only just an experience. Over time with the scripts to my life, I have shared that ‘love has no formula’, I have just not figured it out yet.

Hope is not lost, I am ‘Zen Lady E 2.0’. It’s been a journey that I continue to walk on. I might write fluff, but there’s nothing candy flossy about what I write. I am a black woman of African heritage, trying to figure out life like any other breathing human being, on planet earth. Part of being on earth is relationships. As I have been learning, God is relational. The universe as we know it, is relational. 

One way or the other, we seek ‘relationships’ - be it family, friends, societal or romantic. We want that form of contact with other people. In my article about ‘Love By the 10th Date’, I shared that a character by the name, Big Stunna shared with Kelly Rowland’s character, Margot Scotts that love doesn’t always need to be romantic. In a sermon at church, the preacher shared, ‘Not all relationships are love relationships but they are still relationships.’ Furthermore, the preacher shared, ‘We have an emotional need to relate and open our hearts to other.’

And to be honest, the above statements are true even if your heart is ‘steel’. So what does love look like? In a conversation with a colleague, he shared during a tête-à-tête, “You’re not gonna find a finished product anywhere in this world. You just need someone who appreciates you and who you appreciate enough to compromise and also help each other grow cause even you are not perfect.” Coming from him, it was quite profound.

This comes after my commentary about Pastor John Gray’s statement on ‘Sister Circle Live’. As I stated, my problem wasn’t within his own love story. My problem was the message. I found certain ‘males’ including Sagittarius taking this as a way that women should accept their half baked being. By nature, I am a builder. I thrive on building strong foundations of greater things. But as I agreed with a female friend, we can’t go on being ‘Bob the builder’ for grown males. We too as women, especially of colour, require mature, self aware ‘men’ to hold the fort down. We already laid the foundations. 

Love requires a strong foundation. Even we as women are tired of the experience of being insecure and going bat shit crazy. We need security. We need to feel, experience and see what love is. In my personal experience I know what love should look like when a man loves a woman. My father was a clear example. Also in my years of healing, my mentor, my uncle, brothers and even past love interests have shown me what ‘true love’ should look and feel like.

When I was with Sagittarius, I realised that I was repeating the same script with Mr. X. The only difference is Sagittarius was a better actor. More resilient! Sagittarius auditioned, got the role and even played the part. Yet again, ‘same script, different cast.’ I also believe that in my being an introvert, I have a flair for drama. It’s dangerous and exciting. Heartbreak becomes the songwriter’s story line. Think Adele, or Taylor Swift, when we think pop culture references. 

So what does love look like? 

Definitely not what romcoms or love songs have portrayed! One of the ways to know what love looks like is to know your own love language. Author Gary Chapman has written literature about the five love languages. All five languages including gifts, time, words of affirmation, service, and physical touch are part of how we love and receive love. I see love through my top three languages which are, quality time, words of affirmation, and physical touch. In return I firmly believe that by giving praise, making time for others and a hug, make a whole difference. I love through the above and that's why we all need to understand our love languages. But there's more...

So what does love look like? 

...Obviously not what society has socialised us to believe.

Love doesn't come in a perfect package, all wrapped up with a bow. Through experience, love is 1 Corinthians 13 and I have seen the way it looks. It’s that person who sits with you outside the office whilst you use the WiFi to finish up your work. It is that friend who travels all the way from another country just for your birthday. It’s that person who will not put up with your bullshit but instead encourage you to be a better version of yourself. It is that person who makes time and not excuses for you. It’s that person who challenges you to grow up and grow. You are always evolving and becoming better...in short love brings out the best in you.

In the prologue of ‘It Looked Like Love, But It Wasn’t’:
“So here I am in the haze of smoke 
Eyes filled with glaucoma 
Just Ray Charles singing the Blues 
Pondering on what would have become of me and you 
But you were heaven sent,Sent to teach me a lesson 
And to thank God 
Because it looked like love but it wasn't 
It felt like love wrapped around me like a blanket 
But it never lasted 
But it was a beautiful dream whilst I was wide awake.”
When it isn’t what it looks like, learn to grow from it. Don’t let it make you bitter but as you heal, become better...

One day your eyes will be open to see the look of love, because it will look into your eyes...

It will be a reflection in the mirror...

P.S. : Always write your own love story!

Lady E

Ciao!

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Auld Lang Syne ... Maybe Not All the Time

Sometimes the end is a new beginning!  It's a new year! To be more precise, the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty-two. According to the Hebrew calendar the year is 5782.  The crossover into 2022 was particularly dull due to the curfew. When we say that the pandemic is a buzzkill, the sentiment is real. As a staunch believer in the saying, "How you leave is how you enter," I often enjoy spending my time in church. The service prior to the countdown often invigorates my faith. Praying and seeding on the first day of the 365 or 366 is comforting. Unfortunately, the authorities ensured that the gathering of the saints wouldn't happen on their watch. We had to sit and watch the livestream from home. As the new year came, I started to think of the song synonymous with the new year. Auld Lang Syne. Based on the 18th century Scottish song, the words read: Should Old Acquaintance be forgot, and never thought upon; The flames of Love extinguished, and fully past a...

7 Ways to Sage Your Space

Unlearn and burn your inhibitions... We grew up socialised into certain behaviours and beliefs that are sometimes unhealthy for our mental wellbeing. These factors contribute to brokeness, poverty mentality and self loathing. Many of us may experience stunted emotional, spiritual and mental growth due to past experiences and beliefs. But the cycle needs to be broken now. Our generation is privileged to acknowledge the unhealthy patterns in our lives. We have the ability to unlearn mindsets that have prevented us from living our best lives. I have been on my journey to healing for the past four years. The journey to healing and self love isn't an easy one. It does help to realise that there is so much to you than what meets the eye. Your healing begins by spring cleaning your life. It's out with the old, and in with what you carefully choose to enter. This cleaning applies to every aspect of your life. As we go into the second half of the year, let's reevaluate ou...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...