Skip to main content

Dirty Laundry Diaries: Secret Lovers

You then come to a place that you want to be more than a hush...

Black Woman Keeping Secrets



Am I the only one who feels like buffing with the obnoxious ‘couple goals’ on social media. There is a certain amount of posts as a couple that should be deemed illegal. And no, it’s not jealousy, relationships should have a level of being personal. 

"If I like you, I will not follow you on social media and neither should you. "


I have been one of those people who seeks to keep their relationships private. In actual fact I have a social media policy with whomever I date...let’s not follow each other. If I like you, I will not follow you on social media and neither should you. There’s something about people’s social media persona that I find unattractive. I would rather base my attraction to the person that I’m seeing on IRL activities.

"Navigate the relationship through your own perceptions and not what your friends or society dictates."
I’m also a believer in keeping the relationship under wraps even from close circles. Look if it’s still fresh, and in the early stages, you would rather keep it to yourself. I don’t want to be going through interrogation by my inner circle about something that just might fizzle out quickly. For the first few dates and perhaps few months of a relationship it’s good to listen to only your own voice. Navigate the relationship through your own perceptions and not what your friends or society dictates.

Keeping your business, your business can help keep your relationship intact. I believe that even keeping it off social media wards off negative vibes from the comments section. Besides you don’t feel the pressure to act for an audience. When y’all going through your lows, you can break up and make up in peace. That also depends if you aren’t sending subliminal post break up messages on your social media. And even if you don’t make up, you can enjoy your ice cream, tequila shots and break up love songs in peace.

The cons however with keeping your relationship on the low is security. Not that you are an insecure human being but there’s always that part that needs reassurance. You want them to claim you, to show some PDA and in a corny way, proclaim their affections for you. When you are keeping things on the low, it means being discreet. It could be an office romance or dating your siblings friend, or one of those OMG scenarios that you don’t want people to find out. Everything you do has to be done quietly and far from the public gaze.

So yeah, I’m absolutely cool with people not sticking their noses in what doesn’t concern them. But how am I supposed to react when he tells me not to be close to him because people will talk? Do you pretend not to feel hurt or slightly rejected when you want to steal a kiss, touch or glance when it’s just the two of you,...in public? Do you flip out if someone else double taps their photos on IG? Are you offended if they are nonchalant about attention that you get from other people?

The challenge with being secret lovers is the fact that you can’t define what you have. You could find yourself overthinking things that people who are public about their relationships, don’t worry about. You are also unable to see tell tale signs of either a healthy or unhealthy relationship. Look, being secret lovers is like a psychiatric patient in a straight jacket and confinement.

"So how do we strike the balance between privacy and security at the same time? "

So how do we strike the balance between privacy and security at the same time? Both partners have to agree on what makes you both feel secure and reassured. Both partners have to be okay with being caught or found out. People will eventually find out either way especially if things are heated up and real. In an African proverb, “What has horns cannot be hidden”, and well secrets come out one way or the other.

It’s a good stance to keep relationships under wraps but it’s better to allow them to evolve and come to the surface.

P.S. : Always write your own love story.

Lady E

Ciao!

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Are You Miss Bare Minimum?

You are worth the ICE! Intention. Commitment. Effort. Y'all, this is my proof of life. It's been a minute. It's been a tumultuous season, and I guess that I'm not the only one. I am glad though, that I am here to pour out and into you. You've always understood me. And then P!nk's 'Mizunderstood' becomes a backtrack to this conversation. But that's a conversation for another day. A nous allez! Bonjour, bonjour mes amies! Comment allez-vous? I'm taking it one day at a time. Picture this: you’re on a date, and instead of engaging in conversation, your date is glued to his phone, replying to texts that are definitely not from you. Or maybe he’s the ‘textationship’ king, flooding your screen with emojis but never making time for an actual face-to-face meeting. Now this is a good one, he's the convenience pro who gets to see you and spend time with you within his vicinity, and not outside his capacity. Now what do we call that *taps head thinking*...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...