Skip to main content

Script My Life: Disney Princesses

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew." — Pocahontas



I have so many fond memories of my dad. He was like so super cool.And he was encouraging too.He always told us that we could do anything in this world and the sky was the limit to who we could be.The constant reminder I have is that he told me that I was a princess.Not just his,but a real princess.(And I do not doubt that the least bit.)-The Makings Of A Queen

It is almost every girl's dream to be a princess,and better yet,to get married to a prince.Two world famous ordinary girls who got that wish are, Princess Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, who got married to the heir to the British throne, Prince William; and Princess Charlene, a former South African Olympic swimmer, who got married to Prince Albert of Monaco. Lucky girls! (Don't you just hate them?). I'm all green with envy.

Talking about green, how many of you were excited about the first black Disney princess? Princess Tiana, from 'The Princess and the Frog'.To be honest I don't really understand the fuss, because Tiana spent the larger part of the movie as a green, slimy, (kind of cute), frog,and not a black princess. Either way, it was interesting though, to go (*in a Southern accent*),'down to the South, to New Orleans'. One of the places in the US, I've always been fascinated by because of the soul food, mardi gras and, ....voodoo.Sic!

So, script my life today is about my favourite animations, specifically, the Disney Princesses.Disney features have always been magical, and every single princess that I have watched brought a certain quality in one way or the other. Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Jasmine, Mulan, Kayley, Pocahontas, Belle, Merida, Rapunzel and of course, Tiana. (Although an animal, I think that Kiara from 'Lion King 2', should also be on the list.)

These princesses were kind, bold, intelligent, free-spirited, hardworking, likeable and yes, beautiful. My favourites are Belle, because of her love for books; Jasmine for her free-spirit; Mulan for her boldness; and yes, Tiana, because of her ambition. The above describe me, and I relate more as I repeatedly watch the animations. Princesses do not need to be lazy, snobbish or spoilt, and it is a good thing that there are such good examples.(Although Snow White living with seven little men;or Aurora, (Sleeping Beauty), sleeping for years, (and y'all can she sleep); or even, Cinderella coming home at midnight, could count for as good examples). But that is just me.

Now thanks to real princesses Kate and Charlene, my faith in being a princess has increased. Being royal is no longer a thing of fairy tales, but can be a reality. *Sigh* Well, the sad part though,there aren't that many 'kingdoms' in this world and even fewer princes. (In Africa, almost non-existant). *sniff,sniff*

But my script is not about finding a 'prince' in particular, (after kissing so many frogs), I will probably continuously sing, 'Some day my Prince will come'. (Hopefully in this lifetime). My script is about the transition from being a princess to being a Queen. It is about being a woman of influence, virtue and substance.

There is a lot that comes with 'royalty'. It is about sacrifice, being in balance and making a real difference. And it takes a lot to 'rule' over a kingdom. (Your space is your kingdom).

'Every little girl is a princess;and a queen in waiting.'-The Makings Of A Queen

Disney princesses will always be my favourite fantasy that inspire my reality.

P.S: Always write your own love story.

Ciao!

Lady E

Copyright[c] MPV by Lady E All Rights Reserved 2013

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

Script My Life: Grown-ish Season 2 Episode 18

I choose ME! We watch and I write; correlating fictional characters with reasonably realistic plot lines to our lives. Script my life! I chose not to review a whole season of a series, neither a film this week. I was struggling to write an authentic story about something that spoke to me through visual consumption. And then I felt emotions erupt as I watched the latest episode of Grown-ish. While I sometimes relate to the protagonist, Zoey Johnson, she annoys me more as I watch this second season. I must forgive her because she's a spoilt 19 year old who is yet to learn the realities of growing up. But she does these really annoying things like being judgemental and being up in people's business. I do love Nomi, Sky (Halle Bailey) and Doug (Diggy Simmons) though. Their characters have so much to offer to the show and audience. In this week's episode titled, 'Nice for What', the young women of the coming-of-age sitcom had to make hard relationship choice...