Skip to main content

I Am She: Necole Kane

In her growth, Necole Kane has established a community that empowers women of colour.



I love XONecole...actually, I breathe for it. I don't recall how I came across the blog's Instagram page, but what I do remember is falling in love. I loved the pastel layout of the artwork. I fell in love with the content. I actually found the one publication about women that I would love to write for. And in 2016, I applied for the position of a writer for the blog, unfortunately that dream didn't come true. That disappointment hasn't derailed me, I now want my own XONecole, or a platform affiliated with the community.

Today queens, we celebrate a black woman who defined blogging entrepreneurship. Her name is the moniker for the blogs that she's been synonymous with. She crossed over from entertainment gossip blogging to a positive, honest platform that uplifts women especially of colour. My Shero is Maryland native, Necole Kane.

I knew of Necole Kane as the founder of NecoleBitchie.com. In a rubble of several celebrity gossip sites, Necole Bitchie had personality; it had the voice of a black woman. It was like gossiping with your home girl. The salacious site launched in 2008 was put to rest and in came XONecole in 2015. You see what I mean with Necole being the moniker of her brand. Two years later, the company would be acquired by Hollywood heavyweight, Will Packer. Just to educate those who might not be in the know, Will Packer is the producer who's been involved with films like the recent, 'Little', 'Girls Trip', and 'Straight Outta Compton', to name but a few.

While WPM partnered with xoNecole.com, Necole Kane remains the Editor-In-Chief. XONecole focuses on beauty, fashion, lifestyle, career and travel features. According to Necole, the platform was inspired by Necole's personal journey, and growth. xoNecole sets to promote positive images of women of color, as well as empower, educate and inspire millennials. The colour scheme comes in pastel colours of pink, green and purple which signify femininity and positivity. The content includes celebrity features, interviews, stories of, or by ordinary people, contributing writers personal 'point of view', relationships, sex, spirituality, financial and career advice. In short, the content is human; relatable.

The content is authentic to Necole's lifestyle that includes healthy eating, mental wellbeing,  travelling, speaking engagements, and chronicling her experiences. With almost 300,000 Insttagram followers, Necole Kane's reinvention has transformed lives. She has expanded the xoNecole brand to Pyjamas and Lipstick, a fun, laid back,  adult 'sleepover' type of platform, and founded the Elevate Her conference. These serve to keep conversations going about women's issues, forming a sisterhood as well as empowering women, especially of colour. In addition, she is a pro body builder as she's trained and competed in NPC Bikini Fitness Competitions, with several trophies under her belt. Other accolades from her long career include Black Enterprise’s Black Blogger of the Month, Soul Train Music Award For Best Soul Site, the Black Weblog Awards Best Gossip Blog and Blogger Of The Year honors. She was also named to Ebony magazine’s Power 100 and was the first blogger ever to appear on BET’s 106 & Park.

I Am She


Necole's journey hasn't been easy but she's grown from each failure. She has done radio, and television during her career path. She's been unemployed yet managed to find an opportunity. As she has reflected, NecoleBitchie.com wasn't her crown of glory, but it was a stepping stone. Necole has challenged herself to be a positive and purposeful woman. In finding her purpose she reaches out to other women. xoNecole.com is more than just a link in bio, it's that auntie, best friend, life coach, therapist and even preacher. It's a space where as a black woman, one can find stories that mainstream media ignores.

I am Necole Kane because our life stories have similar connections. She lost both her parents, who passed away at young ages. She lived with he aunt who thought that her blogging was a waste of time. I have been there honey. She used the Internet to create a blog that would establish her career. I started MPV...my point of view! which opened doors to my career as both a write and content creator. And yes, I am editor-in-chief! While I might not have accolades to my name, I share the journey of moving with purpose. Necole's storytelling is about
women of colour; my stories are about African millennials and future generations - reclaiming our crown of glory as the Motherland.

During my career, and life overall, I have experienced more lows than highs. But Necole's story has inspired me to keep going at it. She is my real life Carrie Bradshaw, or Jane Sloan, or Jane Gloriana Villanueva. As you have observed these are fictitious, female characters who are writers and are non-black. In real life, there's a woman of colour, about my age, who has gone through the trenches and built a powerful empire.

Apart from earning a good living, the impact on culture, and womanhood through her influence has been vital for positive conversations. I remember watching the discussion on mental health that included Keri Hilson. The strength and openness to discuss mental health issues was important in helping me find my voice to share my own challenges, as well as those of others. On her website, Necole shares the story of the butterfly. I have a mark of the butterfly which I relate to the insects' life cycle. Egg, to caterpillar, to cocoon, and then the butterfly.

We eventually become butterflies, but we always need to understand the seasons of our lives.

In my generation, a black woman has a queendom that she shares with other queens. There's a storyteller sharing the black experience and journey through a world that's constantly tried to silence our voice. Necole Kane moves in her truth and chooses to be a beacon of light. I don't know her personally, but I feel connected to the community of xoNecole, I believe in he personal brand.

Nobody's perfect but everybody is a lesson.

I am she who rises from the ashes like a phoenix
I am the beauty from the ashes

Here's to inspiration, celebration and empowerment.

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...

Are You Miss Bare Minimum?

You are worth the ICE! Intention. Commitment. Effort. Y'all, this is my proof of life. It's been a minute. It's been a tumultuous season, and I guess that I'm not the only one. I am glad though, that I am here to pour out and into you. You've always understood me. And then P!nk's 'Mizunderstood' becomes a backtrack to this conversation. But that's a conversation for another day. A nous allez! Bonjour, bonjour mes amies! Comment allez-vous? I'm taking it one day at a time. Picture this: you’re on a date, and instead of engaging in conversation, your date is glued to his phone, replying to texts that are definitely not from you. Or maybe he’s the ‘textationship’ king, flooding your screen with emojis but never making time for an actual face-to-face meeting. Now this is a good one, he's the convenience pro who gets to see you and spend time with you within his vicinity, and not outside his capacity. Now what do we call that *taps head thinking*...