Skip to main content

I'm Every Woman!

"I'm every woman, it's all in me
Anything you want done, baby, I'll do it naturally",  I'm Every Woman by Whitney Houston (originally Chaka Khan)....

God I miss Whitney! Happy Women's Month, with this article being posted a day after 'International Women's Day'! If there's one group that knows how to own a month, it's definitely WOMEN! Have you checked out all the records released in the past five to seven decades about femaledom? Y'all my playlist is full! 

We run the world, we are superwoman, we just wanna have fun and most recently, we are 'Mambokadzi' (Shona for Queen). It doesn't get any better than that. So what does Women's Day mean to me? With millions of women and allies across the globe celebrating this annual event, this day speaks volumes! It's more than just a day, or month, but a complete revolution dating back to the 1950s, and even centuries before.

My experience with this day began when I entered the employment circle, more so when I became a performing artist. Prior to that, I knew that there were set calendar days to pay homage to women, past, present and the future. Despite being a stay-at-home mum, I firmly believed in women occupying spaces of power and influence. I already had women whom I looked up to who defied the odds including the now dividing Oprah, age-mate Bonang Matheba, and to some extent, Beyoncé! Powerhouses!

Stuck to my former bedroom wall is a vision board. Occupying the white spaces are my dreams of being a media and entertainment powerhouse with several corporations. When I think of editors, there's Vogue's Anna Wintour, Ndalo Media's Khanyi Dlomo, Essence magazine's
Susan L. Taylor and even Meryl Streep's 'Devil Wears Prada' fictitious character, Miranda Priestly. Nothing says 'boss' more than these women who set out to lead some of the world's most influential publications. Though not an entertainer in this aspect, but I look at Nina Simone, Diana Ross, Miriam Makheba, Brenda Fassie, Chiwoniso Maraire, Whitney Houston, Aaliyah, and the most influential woman in entertainment of our generation, Beyoncé. Their journeys speak of changing the narrative. From crossing over racial barriers, to breaking records previously held by male entertainers, we see women driven by passion. Chiwoniso Maraire broke a taboo, of a woman playing the traditional instrument, mbira. Though her life was stole, she paved way for many young women in Zimbabwean entertainment including her own offspring. Beyoncé has a work ethic like no other, while many are quick to jump to criticise her, she has proved time after time that she does run the world. Her brand crosses over race, cultures, gender, sexual orientation and even beliefs. Each album, every performance tells the story of a little girl from Houston, Texas, growing up in the spotlight, with similar struggles as any other woman, doing her to best to excel. And she has done that to the point of adding vocabulary to the Oxford dictionary.

We reflect upon the continuous struggles of women for equality especially in the professional spaces. This year's theme is, 'Each for Equal', a follow-up to 2019's 'Balance for Better'. Women are demanding for equal opportunity, equal pay and special attention to their needs. Policies from the low ranks up to government levels need to cater to women's physical, mental and emotional needs. We need special work attire for women in manufacturing, construction and farming industries. Women in corporate need to be able to have a 'healthy' work-life balance. We need more women occupying STEM subjects in schools and working in those industries. EQUALITY - the demand is high, the voices are louder and the gaps need to be filled.

Yet the question is, what does Women's day, the month mean to me? Actually, what does it mean to be a woman? My narrative as a woman is paradoxical. As highlighted in previous posts, I am the woman that I am because of the men in my life. My inspirations, and support system have been predominantly male. In the professional space, I don't see myself as a woman. I perceive every challenge that I have experienced as part of my growth often stemming from the fact that I wasn't as knowledgeable or experienced in my field. But I keep learning. I laugh at one experience when I introduced myself on a professional level and the gentleman responded,"I thought that was owned by a man!" Offense taken, actually none! Neither was it a complement. My belief is that my calling is to remedy the human condition through text and creativity. Years of interaction with different individuals with a range of experiences and needs have proved that we all have to do better with improving each others lives.

Each for equal to me means that everyone's struggles is unique, and not any less than a unified, vocal group. Women are vocal, we always have been, however we need to go beyond ourselves. Still this isn't the point of this conversation.


P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao! 


Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact

The Writings On The Wall

Thou shall move onto the next! And then 'If You Leave' by Destiny's Child and Next starts to play. Gosh, 'The Writings on the Wall' remains my favourite Destiny's Child album, ever. The concept of the '10 commandments' of relationships. Brilliant!  Bonjour, mes amies! Comment ça va? Ça va bien! (Caribbean accent) Your gyal ,  moi , has been experiencing epiphanies. And a few disappointments, but life is too sweet to be upset. Lick your ice cream and have sweet red wine! I travelled through the blogosphere for inspiration for our topic today. Ironically, I also had a discussion with an acquaintance about a similar topic. There's nothing that I love more than people who brag about their intelligence. Oh, my! People pride themselves on their levels of education, often equating it to intelligence. We assess our value based on having degrees, master's degrees, and doctorates. If only those worked in relationships. I think of David Robson's 'W

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

Chocolate!

Oogling and drooling as I lust after the delicious,yummy chocolate abs of...gush...Trey Songz in a music video. My male friends look at me as if I'm some perverted male...maybe I am. Sadly as a woman such men are just a mirage in a desert full of pot bellied men.Yes,I said it!I believe I speak on behalf of my sisters,who have been termed 'overambitious',and having high standards in the looks department.We would love to see more abs and less flab. Why our brothers keep mount Everests of flesh I fail to understand.Worse still,men boobs that could hold shares in a dairy company. Who would blame me.I become a pervert because Usher's six-pack makes me want to eat of it,or I'm actually envious of Generations' Queen Moroka having 'Muscle man' Lungile,hold her in his arms.Yes,guilty as charged! What my brothers should understand is most women already have stuffed toys,a new addition in the form of a man is not adorable.A little working out w

Dirty Laundry Diaries: Hurts Like a Mother F***er

My humanity will let me hurt as much as I can and be unapologetic for it… I never thought that I would find myself at this place again. Over the past few years, I learnt the word ‘No’ and embraced my power to reject mediocrity. Be it work, life and even romantic relationships. Sigh! I recently found myself breaking almost every rule of every self-help book that I’ve read. Reading is supposed to empower you with knowledge and also help you with making better life choices! Anyway, I recently had to break it off with some guy because of ‘incorrect assumptions’, when will I ever learn? "In my own rule book,   CONSISTENCY is very important." In my own rule book, CONSISTENCY is very important. The moment that there is lack of consistency during the dating period or in a relationship it’s, “Off with his head” (In the voice of the queen of hearts). Sic! But what started off well, ended up like the familiar script that I have writing about for a long time. As Whitney