Skip to main content

I'm Every Woman!

"I'm every woman, it's all in me
Anything you want done, baby, I'll do it naturally",  I'm Every Woman by Whitney Houston (originally Chaka Khan)....

God I miss Whitney! Happy Women's Month, with this article being posted a day after 'International Women's Day'! If there's one group that knows how to own a month, it's definitely WOMEN! Have you checked out all the records released in the past five to seven decades about femaledom? Y'all my playlist is full! 

We run the world, we are superwoman, we just wanna have fun and most recently, we are 'Mambokadzi' (Shona for Queen). It doesn't get any better than that. So what does Women's Day mean to me? With millions of women and allies across the globe celebrating this annual event, this day speaks volumes! It's more than just a day, or month, but a complete revolution dating back to the 1950s, and even centuries before.

My experience with this day began when I entered the employment circle, more so when I became a performing artist. Prior to that, I knew that there were set calendar days to pay homage to women, past, present and the future. Despite being a stay-at-home mum, I firmly believed in women occupying spaces of power and influence. I already had women whom I looked up to who defied the odds including the now dividing Oprah, age-mate Bonang Matheba, and to some extent, Beyoncé! Powerhouses!

Stuck to my former bedroom wall is a vision board. Occupying the white spaces are my dreams of being a media and entertainment powerhouse with several corporations. When I think of editors, there's Vogue's Anna Wintour, Ndalo Media's Khanyi Dlomo, Essence magazine's
Susan L. Taylor and even Meryl Streep's 'Devil Wears Prada' fictitious character, Miranda Priestly. Nothing says 'boss' more than these women who set out to lead some of the world's most influential publications. Though not an entertainer in this aspect, but I look at Nina Simone, Diana Ross, Miriam Makheba, Brenda Fassie, Chiwoniso Maraire, Whitney Houston, Aaliyah, and the most influential woman in entertainment of our generation, Beyoncé. Their journeys speak of changing the narrative. From crossing over racial barriers, to breaking records previously held by male entertainers, we see women driven by passion. Chiwoniso Maraire broke a taboo, of a woman playing the traditional instrument, mbira. Though her life was stole, she paved way for many young women in Zimbabwean entertainment including her own offspring. Beyoncé has a work ethic like no other, while many are quick to jump to criticise her, she has proved time after time that she does run the world. Her brand crosses over race, cultures, gender, sexual orientation and even beliefs. Each album, every performance tells the story of a little girl from Houston, Texas, growing up in the spotlight, with similar struggles as any other woman, doing her to best to excel. And she has done that to the point of adding vocabulary to the Oxford dictionary.

We reflect upon the continuous struggles of women for equality especially in the professional spaces. This year's theme is, 'Each for Equal', a follow-up to 2019's 'Balance for Better'. Women are demanding for equal opportunity, equal pay and special attention to their needs. Policies from the low ranks up to government levels need to cater to women's physical, mental and emotional needs. We need special work attire for women in manufacturing, construction and farming industries. Women in corporate need to be able to have a 'healthy' work-life balance. We need more women occupying STEM subjects in schools and working in those industries. EQUALITY - the demand is high, the voices are louder and the gaps need to be filled.

Yet the question is, what does Women's day, the month mean to me? Actually, what does it mean to be a woman? My narrative as a woman is paradoxical. As highlighted in previous posts, I am the woman that I am because of the men in my life. My inspirations, and support system have been predominantly male. In the professional space, I don't see myself as a woman. I perceive every challenge that I have experienced as part of my growth often stemming from the fact that I wasn't as knowledgeable or experienced in my field. But I keep learning. I laugh at one experience when I introduced myself on a professional level and the gentleman responded,"I thought that was owned by a man!" Offense taken, actually none! Neither was it a complement. My belief is that my calling is to remedy the human condition through text and creativity. Years of interaction with different individuals with a range of experiences and needs have proved that we all have to do better with improving each others lives.

Each for equal to me means that everyone's struggles is unique, and not any less than a unified, vocal group. Women are vocal, we always have been, however we need to go beyond ourselves. Still this isn't the point of this conversation.


P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao! 


Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

Script My Life: Grown-ish Season 2 Episode 18

I choose ME! We watch and I write; correlating fictional characters with reasonably realistic plot lines to our lives. Script my life! I chose not to review a whole season of a series, neither a film this week. I was struggling to write an authentic story about something that spoke to me through visual consumption. And then I felt emotions erupt as I watched the latest episode of Grown-ish. While I sometimes relate to the protagonist, Zoey Johnson, she annoys me more as I watch this second season. I must forgive her because she's a spoilt 19 year old who is yet to learn the realities of growing up. But she does these really annoying things like being judgemental and being up in people's business. I do love Nomi, Sky (Halle Bailey) and Doug (Diggy Simmons) though. Their characters have so much to offer to the show and audience. In this week's episode titled, 'Nice for What', the young women of the coming-of-age sitcom had to make hard relationship choice...