Skip to main content

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with.




Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the next trip! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to becoming, we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves. 

Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez! 

Date #1: Restaurant 

I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite Portuguese restaurant. I am taking a cab parce que, I've terrible night vision- I can't really drive without guidance. 

I arrive at the restaurant where I'm led to my table by the waiter. I order a glass of Sauvignon Blanc that will accompany my chicken dish. I take time to enjoy my glass of wine, and of course my meal, ensuring that I put my phone down. The mellow music helps me navigate with my eyes and ears, the activity within the restaurant. I'm very observant of my surroundings. At the end of my evening, I call for the bill, pay my tip, and head out for home. On my way out, I say goodbye to the wait staff, thanking them for a wonderful evening. 

The test: Etiquette 

Let's observe how we treat the wait staff. Do we show gratitude and appreciation for their service, or do we belittle them? Remember, a good woman is not only kind to her peers but also to those who serve her. And don't be a cheap tipper. 

Date #2: Museum 

I'm dressing smart casual today. A red blazer, white graphic t-shirt, slightly above the knee plaid skirt, and a pair of moccasins. Let's take a trip to the museum and art gallery. I am a history nerd and I love culture. At the gallery I get to see artwork by local artists. I am given the opportunity to interpret a certain painting. Remember, a picture is worth a thousand words. 

The test: Wisdom 

It's important to always seek knowledge because learning is a lifelong journey. Wisdom comes from researching, reading wide, exploring new things and applying objective reasoning. 

Date #3: Open Mic 

You didn't see that one coming! Let's challenge ourselves to put ourselves out there. Now I'm familiar with the stage as a spoken word artist. But on this occasion, I'm stepping out of my comfort zone. I'm going to sing. I'm wearing a beige sleeveless silk blouse, cream waterfall, a pair of well fitting blue jeans, and black flat boots. Going for that 90s aesthetic. 

I step onto the stage, and my song of choice is "It Must Have Been Love" by Roxette. Now, I don't sing in public because ironically, I'm shy. So this is me. 

The test: Vulnerability 

Embrace vulnerability and let it empower you to be a stronger and more authentic version of yourself. A good woman is not afraid to be vulnerable and seeks to understand herself on a deeper level. 

We end at three solo dates, each testing our character and offering reflection of whom we want to be. Don't worry, we will venture on more solo dates. For now, I want us to apply the lessons from each experience. Ask yourself, what's my biggest fear or shortcoming? Of the three dates, I know that I'm afraid of vulnerability. There's a lot of healing still required in that department, but I will get there. The journey is like travelling from Cape to Cairo - we have a long way to go. But it's okay because along the way, we are offloading, collecting new things, and experiencing new places.

Research suggests that practicing self-love and cultivating emotional security are essential for personal development. As the saying goes, "The most important relationship is the one you have with yourself." By becoming the best version of ourselves, we attract people who appreciate and resonate with our positive energy. Remember, being someone whom you love being with is the first step in attracting healthy relationships. 

Let's remember the wise words of Janet Jackson's character in 'Why Did I Get Married?’—"Love God, love yourself, and love others.” This echoes the Bible verse, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and soul, and love your neighbour as you love yourself." By nurturing our relationship with ourselves and with a higher power, we lay a strong foundation for future relationships. 

So, ladies, let's put in the work in our femininity, personality, and personal development while we wait for our future relationships. Let's approach our lives with intention, effort, and commitment. Remember, the goal is to become the best version of ourselves, not just for a potential partner, but for our own happiness and fulfilment. 

Here's to embracing our solo dates, enjoying our own company, and becoming the amazing women we are meant to be! Stay fabulous, single ladies! 

 A prochaine fois ....

... keep on BECOMING!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E







Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

Script My Life: Grown-ish Season 2 Episode 18

I choose ME! We watch and I write; correlating fictional characters with reasonably realistic plot lines to our lives. Script my life! I chose not to review a whole season of a series, neither a film this week. I was struggling to write an authentic story about something that spoke to me through visual consumption. And then I felt emotions erupt as I watched the latest episode of Grown-ish. While I sometimes relate to the protagonist, Zoey Johnson, she annoys me more as I watch this second season. I must forgive her because she's a spoilt 19 year old who is yet to learn the realities of growing up. But she does these really annoying things like being judgemental and being up in people's business. I do love Nomi, Sky (Halle Bailey) and Doug (Diggy Simmons) though. Their characters have so much to offer to the show and audience. In this week's episode titled, 'Nice for What', the young women of the coming-of-age sitcom had to make hard relationship choice...