Skip to main content

Script My Life: The Perfect Holiday

It's not selfish to want more!



Gabrielle Union and Morris Chestnut in The Perfect Holiday

It's actually the 25th of December! Oh, you thought that I would take a break from blogging. Not at all. Today, we watch a movie together. Let's find what holiday flick gets us into the spirit.

I guess you're wondering why I dialed back to an 'old' movie. Well, I haven’t properly watched this 2007 movie. Imagine it's taken me 13 whole years to watch this holiday flick starring Gabrielle Union-Wade, Morris Chestnut, and the late Charlie Murphy. For those who still haven't watched the movie 'The Perfect Holiday' - spoiler warning.

The movie follows two characters who will by the magic of Christmas meet. Before I go ahead, Queen Latifah plays mother Christmas who is the 'Christmas angel'. Terrence Howard is the 'Grinch-like' character named "Bah Humbug", who opposes the 'spirit of Christmas'. We meet Benjamin (Morris Chestnut) is an aspiring songwriter who attempts to break into the music business. According to Mother Christmas' narration, Benjamin is a really nice dude, but hard on his luck.

On the other side of town, there's Nancy (Gabrielle Union) a divorced mother of three, feels especially lonely during the holidays. Sensing her sadness, Nancy's youngest daughter, Emily (Khail Bryant), has a plan to make her mom happy again. She asks a department-store Santa Claus who is actually Benjamin, for a man to pay her mother Nancy a compliment. And Benjamin, looks up and is mesmerised by Nancy's beauty.

After his shift, Benjamin talks about Nancy with his friend Jamal, played by Faizon Love. 
Later, while sitting in a Starbucks after his shift as Santa, Benjamin and his friend Jamal (Faizon Love) see Nancy go into a dry cleaner. Benjamin borrows Jamal's jacket, pretends to drop it off at the cleaners, tells Nancy that she's a very attractive woman (granting her wish), and leaves. 

Nancy is is a custody battle with her ex-husband rap star, J-Jizzy played by the late Charlie Murphy. J-Jizzy is self centred and doesn't seem to care for his children. Right now his manager (Kate Williams) wants him to make a family oriented Christmas album. 
Eventually, the two start to date and end up falling in love—without Ben realizing that Nancy's ex-husband is J-Jizzy.

Things take a turn for the worse, however, because Nancy's oldest son, John-John (Malik Hammond) is jealous of Benjamin going out with his mother and plots to break up the relationship. What follows is a series of funny and touching scenes that show viewers what "family" is really about.

Script my life, I am a little bit of Nancy and Benjamin. Okay, I have been Nancy and Benjamin! It's easy to feel underestimated and unappreciated after a breakup (or in this movie, divorce). I have felt overwhelmed with being a single mum, doing her best to be available for her child (ren). I have also yearned for male attention that wasn't intrusive, 'rapey', or downright douche bag. Imagine being complimented and finding a reason to put a little more effort into your appearance.

We all need love over the holidays! Get yourself some good loving and cherish what's most important.

Happy holiday to you and your loved ones!

P.S.: Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E




Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...

MTV VMA Review: Missy Elliott, Supa Dupa Fly!

Yaaaas queen! Joy overwhelmed me by just watching Missy Elliott's MTV VMA performance. It's been 16 years since Missy last performed at the VMAs. That year, Missy was joined by Nelly Furtado and Timbaland, as they proved to us what genius looks like. Missy opened her performance with her latest single, "Throw It Back" before throwing fans back to her hits from yesteryear. She performed a medley that included 'The Rain', 'Get Ur Freak On', 'One Minute Man', 'Pass that Dutch' and 'Lose Control'. With each performance the 4-time Grammy winner invoked looks from each music video. She also reunited with dancer, actress and singer, Alyson Stoner, who remains a superb dancer. For those who aren't in the know, Alyson started dancing for Missy when she was a little girl. She became a staple in most of Missy's music videos. In 2015, Alyson paid tribute to the legend with a viral video of Missy's greatest hits. Missy...

Are You Miss Bare Minimum?

You are worth the ICE! Intention. Commitment. Effort. Y'all, this is my proof of life. It's been a minute. It's been a tumultuous season, and I guess that I'm not the only one. I am glad though, that I am here to pour out and into you. You've always understood me. And then P!nk's 'Mizunderstood' becomes a backtrack to this conversation. But that's a conversation for another day. A nous allez! Bonjour, bonjour mes amies! Comment allez-vous? I'm taking it one day at a time. Picture this: you’re on a date, and instead of engaging in conversation, your date is glued to his phone, replying to texts that are definitely not from you. Or maybe he’s the ‘textationship’ king, flooding your screen with emojis but never making time for an actual face-to-face meeting. Now this is a good one, he's the convenience pro who gets to see you and spend time with you within his vicinity, and not outside his capacity. Now what do we call that *taps head thinking*...

The Promise: When I Say I Do!

When I say, "I do", it is a commitment for a lifetime! Life's short. Less than a yardstick short. Biblically, mankind was granted 120 years on this earth. On average today, mankind has approximately 70 years to live, that is 25,567.5 days. You must be wondering where I am going with this. Does, "I take thee,so and so,to be my lawful, wedded, something,...." sound familiar? Of course, these words are part of the traditional wedding vows. Gosh! Gushing Don't we all just love weddings, where there is the blushing groom,who cant wait to get out of his tuxedo (pretty much because it's uncomfy), and the starry-eyed bride,who wishes the moment would last forever. Forever! A favourite word of many.Imagine the number of songs titled or that include the word 'forever'. I have not heard in a while, one of my favourite songs, 'Forevermore' by Puff Johnson. Oh, I also love hearing that promise of 'forever' by the Okoye twins, 'If you were ...