If I could afford it, I would have a therapist, but I have got my MPV...
Search This Blog
We Aren't that Couple!
We are perfectly imperfect!
Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci! Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.
It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.
What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the school of thought of healthy boundaries. With us, we are at times boring in our perception of #couplegoals. Behind the scenes, though, beige isn't our colour. If anything, perhaps crimson, and at times yellow as the sun. There's a level of adventure, creativity, and excitement. I don't know about him, but he definitely keeps me on my toes. I'm challenged to be that Aretha Franklin: "You make me feel like a natural woman." Only he can describe how I Michael Jackson "make him feel." All I know is that there will never be a dull day between us.
I love me some him.
I love how his mind works. His ability to articulate himself without caring about what the next person thinks. Of course, he needs to be more open to third opinions. I'm both challenged and inspired during our conversations. While I'm a talker and a show-off, I learn a lot from him. I don't believe that there's anything non-generic about either of us. We are two ordinary people with different life stories who have chosen to embark on a journey together. We laid our cards on the table, no bullshit. And here we are!
We are just not that couple.
Thank God that none of us are on that Speedy Gonzalez to rush to the altar. Don't get me wrong; it is an intentional, committed relationship. We are committed to the "vision." He is truly the Barack to my Michelle. Again, I love me some him.
I came here to share the strange formula for this. It's just about steering clear of rose-coloured glasses. Actually living in reality and not La La Land. What you look for in your "ideal" isn't a checklist from romantic comedies. It's not a soap opera or telenovela—there are no happy endings or love without consequences. You need to go into your intended relationship acknowledging the other person. Your thoughts, actions, and words affect your person. Understanding and revealing your attachment styles and love languages enables better communication. It also helps with expressions of love - relating, loving and being loved correctly. It's okay to go to therapy on a personal or couple basis. The question is, are we in this together?
Disagreements and fights aren't about winning a WWE belt. They are the microscopes into those things, and if left unattended to, they will destroy what was actually meant to be. I don't believe in fate, but in the hand of God, yes. But even the man above doesn't force situations. That word "will" means that we are offered a choice. And when you choose, keep the other person in mind. Ask yourself, "Am I ready for this person? Am I willing to give myself to this person? Do I accept what this person has to offer, or brings to the table? Do I choose this person?"
Ask yourself, "Am I ready for this person? Am I willing to give myself to this person? Do I accept what this person has to offer, or brings to the table? Do I choose this person?"
In our separate journeys, we chose healing and self-improvement. I never wanted him to change—not for me. Change should be a choice that stems from self awareness. Nobody is a lab project to test out and modify. If you find yourself trying to change your partner, they were never meant for you. That's the purpose of the word 'compatibility.' And 'compromise'. I love me some him because I have never like I needed to change him. Although he could become a better human being, I didn't impose those expectations because I didn't want to be changed either. But he did change — for the better and to become more mature. Not because of me or for me, but because of his own will. I also changed - for the better, and I'm a continuous work in progress. I'm proud of the woman I'm becoming. He wants more out of life. I want the same.
If you find yourself trying to change your partner- they were never meant for you
Do you know why Ne-Yo's "Make It Work" or John Legend's "Ordinary People" are my relationship songs? It's because they are the most realistic depictions of relationships. In "Make it Work," Ne-Yo sings, "Sometimes I love you more than you will ever know. Other times you get on my nerves." He continues, "That's just reality. You know that it can't always be kisses, hugs, and beautiful words." I will give you a dollar for that one person whom you never get annoyed by. Someone whom you claim to love I'll be waiting. The truth is, healthy relationships will experience the downsides of familiarity, spending too much time together, and, of course, differences. When we acknowledge that we often evolve not only by age but by experiences too, we can reach a resolution. Always prepare yourself for the evolution of yourself, your person, and the relationship. And I always appreciate the lessons and experiences that come with those changes.
Always prepare yourself for the evolution of yourself, your person and the relationship.
Will we ever make our relationship Instagram official? Hell yeah! But in our own time! No pressure! Don't expect us to go live or write cryptic messages when sh*t hits the fan. We understand the word "boundaries." In growing up, we have also learned that we can mind our own business. None of us are out here telling friends, family, or colleagues about our business. I learned that while family and friends might love you, their opinions aren't always in your best interest. I stay away from my inner circle's "relationships." I'm actually happier and more peaceful because I mind my own business. You should try it too; it's very healthy and zen.
I am going through the motions of the world: COVID-19, recession, and the in-between. But I'm content and in-love. And I'm glad this is happening now, after all these years. We are romantic, but we aren't that couple! We are mature, but we aren't that couple! We are modern, metropolitan Africans, but we aren't a couple! We are two individuals who get along and are on the same page about the story that we want to write. He and I agreed to head to the same destination.
Let's see how that journey goes.
Here's to appreciating you and yours!
A prochaine fois...
Shave those legs, tone those thighs, exfoliate that skin and keep on 'Becoming'...
...the person you would love to spend the rest of your life with!
When you find what you are looking for, why wait? She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck. Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character. Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...
Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...
If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all, we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...
Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...
Comments
Post a Comment