Skip to main content

Script My Life: When The Screen Got Real

Some days I feel like these filmmakers are observing my life...

Being Mary Jane meets The Bold Type Type emotional scenes


But then again there are seven billion people, with some I can share similar stories. Of late I've been living in my bubble. I'm oblivious to a lot of things. Some I purposely choose to ignore, others, well, let these cups pass me by. 

In the past year, I have watched a plethora of films, and a new television series. One way or the other, some have spoken to me. All the movies about race relations made me both angry and sad. The rom-com had me reevaluating my perceptions of romantic relationships. And the current sermon from Pastor Mike Todd has got me thinking...I need Jesus!

Over the years with the number of flicks that I have watched, others have spoken to me, more than others. Below are the times that my life was scripted:

1. Vanessa confronts her mother about being sexually abused on 'Madea's Family Reunion.

My God, that part still gets to me. There's no heavier load to carry than that of unforgiveness. Especially when those who were supposed to protect you didn't. I respected her bravery. Confronting an elder isn't easy because grown folks don't see the error of their ways. 

2. Sutton doesn't want children on 'The Bold Type'

Season four of the Bold Type left us with the question mark if Sutton and Richard will mend their marriage. Richard entered their marriage with the assumption that his wife wanted children. When Sutton experienced her miscarriage she was glad that she lost the baby. As diabolical as many would think, I was in a similar boat. I never did want children but I'm blessed with one. I remember my own relief. For weeks I was conflicted because my daughter was missing out on a sibling. But deep down, despite the sperm donor, I knew that more kids weren't part of my life plan. I might not be a spring chicken like Sutton but like her, I share a similar desire. 

3. Lisa committing suicide on Being Mary Jane Season 3

In the episode titled 'Sparrow', Mary Jane Paul's estranged best friend, Lisa commits suicide. This comes after attempts to reconcile with Mary Jane. Lisa was depressed for most of her adult life. Mary Jane was dismissive of her friend's feelings and experiences. Watching Lisa premeditate her death hit home. Watching her fall asleep after overdosing on tablets and then die. Whoa!

Life is not a movie, although sometimes I  wish it was.

Until the next script...

P.S.: Always write your own love story.

Ciao!

Lady E 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

Script My Life: Grown-ish Season 2 Episode 18

I choose ME! We watch and I write; correlating fictional characters with reasonably realistic plot lines to our lives. Script my life! I chose not to review a whole season of a series, neither a film this week. I was struggling to write an authentic story about something that spoke to me through visual consumption. And then I felt emotions erupt as I watched the latest episode of Grown-ish. While I sometimes relate to the protagonist, Zoey Johnson, she annoys me more as I watch this second season. I must forgive her because she's a spoilt 19 year old who is yet to learn the realities of growing up. But she does these really annoying things like being judgemental and being up in people's business. I do love Nomi, Sky (Halle Bailey) and Doug (Diggy Simmons) though. Their characters have so much to offer to the show and audience. In this week's episode titled, 'Nice for What', the young women of the coming-of-age sitcom had to make hard relationship choice...