Skip to main content

Greatest Love

'Learning to love yourself, it is the greatest love of all." - Whitney Houston




That song really hits home. One of my favourite Whitney Houston songs. My father would play this song and encourage me to meditate upon the lyrics. He said to me, "When the world doesn't show you love, just remember that the greatest love is inside you." And yes, enough the times did the lyrics of the late Nippy resound in my mind.

Happy Valentines day y'all!

My timeline is painted red, and drunk in love. Congratulations to all those who got a ring-on-it on this day! Wishing you all the best on your journey down to the aisle. 

I sat with myself and said, somewhere, somehow you ought to be green with envy or feel lonely, or slightly bitter. But I'm not. Apart from a very hectic day, I had a glass of wine and I'm reading a book about 'developing your conversion capability.' And listening to Ariana Grande's 'pov'. I love this song!

There's a song that I loved from J. Lo's 'Marry Me' movie, 'Love of My Life'. Lopez's character, Kat Valdez sings, 
You know I tried so long
Every time I thought I found it, I was wrong
I swear I must have spent a thousand nights
Looking for somebody who could hold me tight
Until I realized

I am the love of the love of my life
And I just smiled to myself. Yes, I am the love of my life. I heard some profound words about starting from self when it comes to love. God is love and we are created in his image. If we say that we love God, then how can we loathe ourselves? It's taken me years to come to that place of self love. 

Now someone's rolling their eyes and thinking, single people find ways to comfort themselves by proclaiming self-love yet deep down they're so lonely.

Laughs! The vocals of the Kabusa Oriental Choir keep playing in my head. They harmoniously sing, "Lonely..." in continuity. Imagine having been single since verse 1 until verse 3. (West African accent) I will give us time to cry and ponder upon the singleness. Laughs!

On a serious note though, raise your hands if you feel lonely, not just on Valentines day, but everyday?

I stretch out my arms to give you a hug. 

To quote a quote from a previous article, "I am my own muse. I am the subject I know best. The subject I want to better," Frida Kahlo.

I am there. A place where I’m okay to be on my own. I enjoy my own company. The only emptiness that I feel is probably hunger. (Stomach actually grumbling) But, I do hope that I don't die alone. And I'm not a cat lady... abeg!

But in the here and now, I'm appreciative of the solitude, therapy, personal development and introspect. I believe that I deserve to be loved and that I'm enough. Does it feel that way everyday? No. But the beauty of becoming is that you appreciate and applaud yourself for the effort. Besides, if you don't like yourself or your own company, who do you expect to vibe with you?

Enjoy your own vibe.

I've said it before, energy begets energy.

Someone who's on the same wavelength with you will definitely be in your sphere. And you will just think ... where have you been all my life?

But...

The greatest love of all is to learn to be in love with yourself. To accept that you are loveable and you are loved. Love doesn't always have to be romantic but we do desire for that 'love'. 

It's definitely right in front of you.

Don't be hard on yourself, in the words of Lutricia McNeal, "Someone loves you honey."

And that someone is YOU....believe it!

I'm done with sounding like a motivational speech. Right now I'm craving spring rolls and a pina colada ....

Como los consigo en este momento?

Toast to you and the love of your life....

....the greatest love!

Today is today, but everyday is tomorrow.

Seize it. Live it. And love it!

P.S.: Always write your own love story

Ciao!

Lady E







Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Auld Lang Syne ... Maybe Not All the Time

Sometimes the end is a new beginning!  It's a new year! To be more precise, the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty-two. According to the Hebrew calendar the year is 5782.  The crossover into 2022 was particularly dull due to the curfew. When we say that the pandemic is a buzzkill, the sentiment is real. As a staunch believer in the saying, "How you leave is how you enter," I often enjoy spending my time in church. The service prior to the countdown often invigorates my faith. Praying and seeding on the first day of the 365 or 366 is comforting. Unfortunately, the authorities ensured that the gathering of the saints wouldn't happen on their watch. We had to sit and watch the livestream from home. As the new year came, I started to think of the song synonymous with the new year. Auld Lang Syne. Based on the 18th century Scottish song, the words read: Should Old Acquaintance be forgot, and never thought upon; The flames of Love extinguished, and fully past a...

7 Ways to Sage Your Space

Unlearn and burn your inhibitions... We grew up socialised into certain behaviours and beliefs that are sometimes unhealthy for our mental wellbeing. These factors contribute to brokeness, poverty mentality and self loathing. Many of us may experience stunted emotional, spiritual and mental growth due to past experiences and beliefs. But the cycle needs to be broken now. Our generation is privileged to acknowledge the unhealthy patterns in our lives. We have the ability to unlearn mindsets that have prevented us from living our best lives. I have been on my journey to healing for the past four years. The journey to healing and self love isn't an easy one. It does help to realise that there is so much to you than what meets the eye. Your healing begins by spring cleaning your life. It's out with the old, and in with what you carefully choose to enter. This cleaning applies to every aspect of your life. As we go into the second half of the year, let's reevaluate ou...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...