Skip to main content

Stupid Cupid!

Stupid Cupid....Stop picking on me!

Love. Rudo. Uthando. Upendi. Amour. Amore. A wonderful, powerful thing, something we all need in all its forms, Agape, Eros, etc. But I am not going to delve into the subject of the 'L' word. The subject at hand is the theme of today, Valentines day.

The most commercial day of the year, where florists, jewellers, restaurants, getaway spots, have their highest cash flow. (I bet you never imagined being a millionaire for love, St. Valentine?) So what is Valentines day? Not to bore y'all with the nitty-gritties, basically it's a day which used to be honoured by the Anglican church for a patron saint, St. Valentine who was martyred, for love. According to legend, he wrote a note to a jailer's daughter before he was put to death, 'from your Valentine.'

The romanticism of this day then came about during the Middle Ages, through Geoffrey Chaucer. So since then, love has been amplified and commercialised every February 14. But what is the hype about Valentines? I see no sense in it.

Women rate how much their men love them because of this day; men break-up with women to avoid the pressures of this day; women compare with other women about who gets the best, the most expensive, the most romantic gifts; and the list goes on, and on. Seriously???

I'm not anti-Valentines day, but I'm against the concept of hyperbolising just one day for 'love'. If you are to spot me today, I'm dressed All-Black. The only red I choose to wear is the blood in my veins, there the blood of Christ runs through me. Christ who unconditionally loves me, whose death and sacrifice, is the greatest gift I could ever receive for eternity.

So even when I do find a partner, and there's a Valentines day, I will not rate his commitment to me by just one day, symbolised by a paedophile god, Cupid, who is 'supposed' to matchmake and shoot arrows in my love direction.

Love is an eternal thing, best characterised by the qualities in 1 Corinthians 13, and yes, embodied through the greatest love story ever told, that of God for the world.

Hence, whether all black (in protest), or red, white, flowers, romantic dinners or getaways, or bling, love the ones you are with, with your everything, need them like the air that you breathe, sacrifice for them, like Him.

Happy Valentines day beautiful people!

A thousand kisses.

P.S:I am not turning down chocolates, roses, bling and everything in between, today. ;)

Ciao!

Lady E

[c]MPV by Lady E All Rights Reserved 2013

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...

MTV VMA Review: Missy Elliott, Supa Dupa Fly!

Yaaaas queen! Joy overwhelmed me by just watching Missy Elliott's MTV VMA performance. It's been 16 years since Missy last performed at the VMAs. That year, Missy was joined by Nelly Furtado and Timbaland, as they proved to us what genius looks like. Missy opened her performance with her latest single, "Throw It Back" before throwing fans back to her hits from yesteryear. She performed a medley that included 'The Rain', 'Get Ur Freak On', 'One Minute Man', 'Pass that Dutch' and 'Lose Control'. With each performance the 4-time Grammy winner invoked looks from each music video. She also reunited with dancer, actress and singer, Alyson Stoner, who remains a superb dancer. For those who aren't in the know, Alyson started dancing for Missy when she was a little girl. She became a staple in most of Missy's music videos. In 2015, Alyson paid tribute to the legend with a viral video of Missy's greatest hits. Missy...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...