Skip to main content

Please, Just Build Me a Bar!

I will cook, I will clean, suck your d**k....


Black woman by the bar



....and drink! Bonjour mes amies! Comment ça va? Je suis comme ci, comme ça, but with hope the universe will hear my plea. Gather around ladies and bring your glass of your favourite poison, and let's chat. Disclaimer, I take great discretion not to reveal identities, and name people by their birth names, however I will mention interactions, if need be, for the purpose of conversation. In short, don't take it personal, but if the shoe fits, just tie those laces up, and walk.

Now that's clear, à nous allez! So, there's a young guy at work, who's made a pass at me. Of course, I would gracefully be delighted to have a young man crush on me. However, as I've come to discover, he's trying to fulfill a sexual fantasy of being with an older woman, who in this case, is a single parent. Sigh. I quickly shut that down, because at this phase of my life, I'm definitely not the one. My appetite is for a full course meal and a dessert, not a teaser like a bread stick. Smile.

The other day he and I engaged in a conversation. He has a problem with my jovial indulgence in fermented grapes and the sorts. And I asked, "Why should I care about your dislike for my wine and gin loving pallette?" He responded that no man wants a woman who drinks, especially if he wants to marry her. Fair and fine that's an actual point. "But you don't have intentions to marry me?" I responded. I highlighted the notion of pairing with someone like you. From my father, to uncles, and brothers, they have all shared a love for their 'drinks' with their spouses. I believe that it has to be mutual, where, and how couples choose to drink together, or be of sober habits.

I then went on to school this young one that when you are grown, you understand that it's naïve to assume that you can change someone else. As my uncle shared, be with your person in the present - who they are, what they look like, and how they act, and not 'potential'. When you bank on false hopes of change, you will be slapped by the ugly unmet expectations. I said, choose someone who is like you and meets your caliber. If you don't drink, get yourself a girl whose tongue has never tasted a draft, or even Chibuku.

I later shared this conversation with my female work colleague on our way home. She's a married, more mature woman. And she agreed that get a person who's in a similar lane as yours, otherwise you will have problems. She highlighted that this is where you hear the words, 'You've changed,' or 'You always knew who I was.' And I return to the point of being unequally yoked. I admitted that I need my husband to build me a bar in our house. We both laughed.

Here's my rational, he's probably out there working hard, chasing that paper to ensure a comfortable life for his family - him, me, and our kids. Right. But coming home late even for genuine reasons might travel to weird assumptions i.e., other females (or others), gambling or other nefarious activities. If I have this bar, after the kids have gone to bed, I can invite my girlfriends over. We can catch up over a bottle of wine, or gin and tonic. At this moment I'm not getting paranoid watching the clock. Instead, I'm entertained. The ladies will leave at godly hours, and I might just have another glass and go to bed. Or pass out on the couch. And then the moment that he returns home, he doesn't come to a nagging woman. Or a woman who's about to make the seven o'clock news for putting her man in a body bag. Sic! But you know what I mean. The next morning, I am delighted to make him a cup of coffee, as I make myself one too, parce que, hangover! I have no time to be arguing or calling him out. I will fix him up, kiss him, and say, 'Go make us millions babe.' Voila!

I'm hysterically laughing as I write this because it's perfect...perfectly insane. My colleague laughed, and we both loudly uttered, 'Please just build me a bar.'

With a show of hands, how many of us enjoy a glass or two of wine? How many of us are social drinkers? How many of us get wasted and could actually tone down? And for those who realise and know someone who abuses alcohol, let's get help. I will be honest there's a thin line between enjoying and abuse. An alcoholic female is the least attractive being. And very exhausting. Let's get help.

A nous allez!

Now we don't have to agree about the bar thing, but we can agree that this I can change my muntu, or umuntu is getting tired. I will reiterate, if you find yourself trying to change your partner - they were never meant for you. I do believe that the relationship between the two of you can inspire change. Good communication can change perceptions. What about compromise? From my understanding, compromise is a mutual agreement to meet each other halfway so as to benefit both parties. For example, I want a holiday by the beach let's say Zanzibar, or Seychelles. (Nice life problems hey). And he's stating that his budget won't allow us. I want the beach; he wants something reasonably within his budget. One of us proposes Kariba or Victoria Falls. The other says, "Kariba actually has that beach vibe, especially on Rhino Island, or Changa." That's compromise. 

I still want that bar, a wine cellar even! Actually, a walk-in refrigerator! Laughs. One of the many lessons that I have learnt so far, is to dump that list. The 'what I don't want list'. Energy begets energy. When you are so focused on what you don't want, you miss out on what might be in front of you. Why not have a 'what I like, love, or want list'? Not too long of course. Don't throw out your values or standards - that's the core of your being. 

For those who have been consistent with this blog, we are aware of my 'don'ts'. Enough the times have I placed emphasis on repulsive behaviours that I have experienced throughout my dating life. And you know what? The same a**holes have reincarnated - a bad case of the same script but different casts. I decided to turn a new leaf and return to my checklist focusing on the positive aspects. I asked myself, "What do I really want?" Positive energy to draw what I really want. So yes, I'm on a path of aligning myself with that mate who will be delighted to build me a bar.

Oh yes, we revert to the bar because it's the focal point. 

A prochaine fois...

Enjoy every sip of your favourite libation and remember la vie est courte.

P.S.: Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E


Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...

Sing My Life: Top 10 Disney Songs

Disney has etched some of the best songs that create a magical world, and even life! For as long as this blog has existed, my readers know that I love Disney movies, and the soundtracks. Despite following the original less fluffed up versions of all our Disney faves, I'm spellbound by the magic.  Today prepare your vocal pipes, wear your crowns and hold on tight. Our script my life is musical; we're going to sing my life. Let's be light and fun today! Here's my top 10 Disney songs. 1. Beauty and the Beast 'Certain as the sun, rising in the east, tears as old as time, song as old as rhyme, Beauty and the Beast.' Whether it's Mrs Potts or the iconic Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson, the title track makes me all warm inside. It's the melody, the lyrics and the moment within the classic animation that make this one of the best Disney songs. Sing my life: Beauty lies beneath the ugly 2. A Whole New World The whole magic carpet ride is exhilarating even if you don...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...