Skip to main content

Single Ladies: Again!

Sparks flew like fireworks on the 4th of July but it obviously fizzled. 




Fireworks though magical can never replace fire which is an eternal need...

Wave to all my single ladies! How have you been mes chere? I apologise for taking such a long hiatus from bearing my experiences and journey with you but I resume my story. I won't bore you with the in-betweens but like old girlfriends, I'll share an epiphany. 

We all have at different parts of our lives experienced a different type of crush. Either it was on that celebrity whose poster you had up your wall. Or that guy you shared the same class with. Maybe your annoying neighbour little Eddie, who now isn't so little and is far from getting under your skin. Oh yes, that very cute lecturer whose mind boggles you or that hot co-worker who makes it so hard to concentrate when they step into the office. We have all been there or are there. No shame about it.

The big question is what to do with that crush? When we were teens we scribbled our diaries and sought for the perfect couple name like J-Rod. Or maybe write your crush a poem that they would never get to read. While most of our crushes remained just that, adulthood offers a different experience. As women we have the opportunity to actually boldly tell our crushes that we like them. If that feels a bit too forward then there are subtle ways to get the message across. Often our adult crushes tend to reciprocate the same sentiments. But at times, adult crushes can to be as confusing and conflicting as adolescent ones.

Well, le garçon de caramel proved that while you might be alone in that department, it’s worth it. Le garçon de caramel (caramel boy) caught my eye a while ago. To be honest the first time that I met him, I thought nothing of him. Just another boy! Yes a 'boy', besides the fact that he is younger, his being doesn't spell out, 'man' or 'mature'. University graduate - tick, good job - tick, good looking - maybe, well groomed - metrosexual, eloquent - knows his 'ABC', saved - bumped into him at church, once! 

But when you decide to go younger, your expectations aren't as high. In fact, I found myself sounding like a centennial making sure that I don't lose the plot and start speaking 'A Different World' or 'Living Single'. He has frequented my place of work. I remember inviting myself into a conversation about colourism that he was discussing with his friends. We then shared a similar sentiment about Twitter. Twitter is still the best social media platform ever! No, such conversations didn't tickle my fancy or make me think, "Ooh, I like him." 

I recall the day of the fireworks, it was post my birthday weekend. While I was still exhausted from travelling, a revelation about my age seemed to be the matchstick for the firework. He stared at me, stated that he likes older women and boom. There was a moment. And yes, it became a crush. The perfectly trimmed goatee on his chin didn't help anything. ( I have never shyed away from the fact that I'm attracted to men with goatees). For just that moment I felt like a teenager again. I secretly blushed and got all giddy. 

For the weeks to come, I really liked le garçon de caramel. he slightly became attractive. Maybe, just maybe, we could hit it off. But his youthful tendencies shot like an arrow and burst that bubble. Oh, gosh how annoying. This one day he proudly shared his weekend conquests - between splurging money that he didn't earn to rolling in the hay with random females. Reality hit and I was like there goes Jamaica! (Remember 'How Stella Got Her Groove Back') That was a literal anticlimax and made reading this book boring.

Lessons learnt though, it's okay to have a crush at any age. For that split millisecond, I felt alive, with blood pulsating inside me. I breathed and glowed as if I found restoration. No, caramel boy, wasn't the 'One', or Mr. Right Now! I believe that the feeling of having someone look into your eyes and remind you of something pleasing is exciting. Not all crushes have to become relationships. You actually don't even need to act upon them either. You don’t need to tell your crush that you like them, or try to get their attention. You don’t even need physical contact such as a touch, hug or kiss.

I believe that crushes are there to teach you to live. They remind us of our own humanity. While we put electric fences and bar the doors to our hearts from heartache, crushes jailbreak so that we can see what's on the outside. There’s more to dating, relationships and love than our ideals penned down on a list. Crushes allow us to learn the art of flirting.

Crushes are actually fun in adulthood as long as you don't over think it.

So how does one handle a crush as an adult? Just go with the flow...

P.S. : Always write your own love story. 

Lady E 

Ciao

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...