Skip to main content

Damaged

Maybe not today, but someday you will mend and breathe.

 

Black woman crying

Breathe with a smile on your face, and tears of joy. As the good book says, joy comes in the morning. There's so much to say, at most to complain, but I want to check my privilege. I might not be where I want to be but I am at a better position. To quote my friend, a lot has happened in a year, especially in my career and psycho-social growth. But I'm only human, there are days I wake up feeling blue, overwhelmed and anxious.

In a conversation with a colleague, we discussed our views on romantic relationships. He was surprised by my responses and perceptions about the state of modern relationships. I explained to him that from observation, he is the unicorn of the attachment styles. He is the secure type. But for the rest of us, we are 'damaged'. And while I write this, Danity Kane's 'Damaged' comes on. Ironic right. Well, I have a playlist called, 'That typa playlist', and it's got all the feels of what a heartbreak feels like. But that's none of our business. Back to the topic at hand.

As I delved deeper, this 'damage' begins way before 'romantic relationships. As shown through the attachment theory, we are moulded by our childhood. Our parents, or guardians are the first encounters to whom we become and how we perceive life. Their attendance, or lack of, to our needs and overall nurturing will determine the amount and type of wounds in our adulthood. Today, I don't want to use stats, or try to be an expect. I want to come from a personal space.

It's easy to get caught up in the trends and fads because it works well for optics. Mental health and self care have become fads. How many times have we used the hashtag 'positive vibes only'? Apparently that has been monetized for apparel and et cetera. There goes actual mental health and self care...down the pits! Of course, we desire and even aspire for positivity only, but I believe that it needs context. Actually, positive vibes require a realistic approach that includes comprehension of dealing with life's downs. Because life will always have those low points. Our reactions and how we allow that to affect us, is key.

Damage in this context, is trauma from negative emotional or psychological experiences. This comes when one feels triggered by a current experience, in relation to the past. As mentioned before, of late I feel a volcanic experience in my mind and emotions when it comes to these wounds. I have become recluse, preferring my own company. I don't want to deal with people because people at times contribute to the triggers that I'm so trying to avoid working on. I will eventually work on the areas that are part of the 'damage', but not now. 

In all the avoidance, there are some who are brave. Brave enough to say, I'm ripping off the band aid. Physical wounds are easier to deal with because you can see them. Emotional, or mental ones are tricky. Most of us sweep things under the carpet, or we self sabotage. But how do we know that our hearts are damaged? Like any pathology, you could experience a symptom, or more. We are here to heal, and we can only do that when we assess the wounds. 

Ever had your mind go quantum leap. Like a camera flash you experience a blast from the past that causes an immediate reaction. You react or feel the same way that you did when that traumatic experience occurred.

Team insomnia please stand up! If you aren't dosing yourself with sleep medication, an antihistamine, or alcohol, stay strong. For the rest of us, we need something to help us sleep. We wrestle with the subconscious, which deals with those thorns that keep pricking us. And then there's that physical weight you feel on your shoulders, and even in your heart. Often you feel down, and you can't always explain how and why. I have days like that, especially when I'm not even focused on anything in particular. Like I could be just sitting on my bed, and then tears well up, my chest is swollen and I don't know. Sigh! That heart needs some unloading.

Triggers cause insane reactions to even the most trivial of things. When not addressed, that damage affects your emotions. Sometimes you cry a river, other times you seethe in anger and erupt like a volcano. At times you lose your marbles and don't know how to act. 

And then we come to the place where the only party we are attending is self loathing. Low self esteem makes great company when you are damaged. You are intimidated, or easily offended by situations or other people. Your self worth is at the bottom of the barrel.

I believe that I'm in that space where I'm comfortable with being alone. Enjoying your own company is actually healthy. But no one is an island. We all need a form of human interaction. So when you find yourself enjoying hermit life, it's time to lift that rug. And sweep out the dust once and for all.

The lyrics to Danity Kane's 'Damaged' read, "Do you know how to patch up a wound tell me,...Cause I might need some time to clear the hole in my heart." The cliche quote is time heals all wounds. According to a quote by Roy T Bennett, "Time does not heal emotional pain, you need to learn how to let go." I concur with the latter. Of course, we need time to go through the process. 

 

Time does not heal emotional pain, you need to learn how to let go. -Roy T Bennet

The damage and invisible scars of past traumas are very difficult to heal.  It takes time to reprogram from the negative memories imprinted on us. But we have a choice to learn and grow from the hurt. While it's not easy to forget, we had the choice to not give power to the trauma. We can begin to heal, through grieving, and letting go. Letting go frees us from the shackles that hinder us from living. When we heal, we restore our lives and become healthy. That desired positive vibe is achieved through a clear, renewed mind. However, it takes time to heal, but we can start now. In that time you will experience a release, those scars will eventually get better.

Don't allow your wounds to transform you into someone you are not.

Don't allow your wounds to transform you into someone you are not.

P.S.: Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

 

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...

MTV VMA Review: Missy Elliott, Supa Dupa Fly!

Yaaaas queen! Joy overwhelmed me by just watching Missy Elliott's MTV VMA performance. It's been 16 years since Missy last performed at the VMAs. That year, Missy was joined by Nelly Furtado and Timbaland, as they proved to us what genius looks like. Missy opened her performance with her latest single, "Throw It Back" before throwing fans back to her hits from yesteryear. She performed a medley that included 'The Rain', 'Get Ur Freak On', 'One Minute Man', 'Pass that Dutch' and 'Lose Control'. With each performance the 4-time Grammy winner invoked looks from each music video. She also reunited with dancer, actress and singer, Alyson Stoner, who remains a superb dancer. For those who aren't in the know, Alyson started dancing for Missy when she was a little girl. She became a staple in most of Missy's music videos. In 2015, Alyson paid tribute to the legend with a viral video of Missy's greatest hits. Missy...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...