Skip to main content

Sing My Life: Top 10 Disney Songs

Disney has etched some of the best songs that create a magical world, and even life!


For as long as this blog has existed, my readers know that I love Disney movies, and the soundtracks. Despite following the original less fluffed up versions of all our Disney faves, I'm spellbound by the magic. 

Today prepare your vocal pipes, wear your crowns and hold on tight. Our script my life is musical; we're going to sing my life. Let's be light and fun today! Here's my top 10 Disney songs.


1. Beauty and the Beast

'Certain as the sun, rising in the east, tears as old as time, song as old as rhyme, Beauty and the Beast.' Whether it's Mrs Potts or the iconic Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson, the title track makes me all warm inside. It's the melody, the lyrics and the moment within the classic animation that make this one of the best Disney songs.

Sing my life: Beauty lies beneath the ugly

2. A Whole New World

The whole magic carpet ride is exhilarating even if you don't physically experience it. Aladdin and Princess Jasmine help us see the world through their eyes. I love the part that Jasmine sings, "Unbelievable skies, indescribable feeling, soaring, tumbling and reeling," whoa, my head is buzzing. 

Sing my life: Don't be afraid to go on an adventure 

3. You'll Be In My Heart

I'm truly my father's daughter because I love Phil Collins as much as he did. When 'Tarzan' came out, I wasn't really into the flick. However, 'You'll be in my heart' is irresistible. It's a universal love song. After introducing the animation to my daughter, the song is our song.

Sing my life: You'll be in my heart

4. Hakuna Matata

Repeat after me, "hakuna matata." What a great introduction to our Swahili lessons. Timon and Pumbaa might not be the best babysitters in the world, but life will never be dull. Simba unlearnt burden and replaced it with no worries for thr rest of his days.

Sing my life: When the weight of the world is on your shoulders, tell yourself, hakuna matata

5. Upendi

Another Swahili inspired song, hey I'm on a roll. Upendo means love and who doesn't want to be in 'upendi'. We all know that Rafiki seems to be involved in love matches and family reunions. This time, Simba's daughter falls in love with Simba's cousin - because royal family. 

Sing my life: I need Rafiki as my matchmaker

6. The Best Thing I Never Knew I Needed

This song confirmed that I'm a hopeless romantic. Apart from the fact that I love Ne-yo, this song is all forms of mush. The song's theme is about finding love unexpectedly. Tiana kissed a frog but didn't care about finding a prince. The prince fell in love with Tiana who was chasing her dreams.

Sing my life: Find your one

7. You're Welcome

I don't think that I can ever take Dwayne Johnson seriously. And his role as the mischievous god, proves my point. I'm starting to pick up on Lin Manuel Miranda's signature songwriting and composing styles. You're welcome is catchy, bouncy and has rap verses. If my history teacher taught us the same way, who knows.

Sing my life: Sometimes own your gratitude, and say you're welcome

8. Be Prepared 

It wouldn't be a Disney playlist without a villain song. There are plenty of intriguing Disney villains, but uncle Scar is life! Anybody who understands dictatorship and coups, can relate to this song. The darkness of the lyrics, the melody and even wit make 'Be prepared' the best war song. And what better way to bring Shakespeare to life than through Scar.

Sing my life: Go after what you want relentlessly and pump yourself up whilst doing it

9. Friend like me

Back to Aladdin! The late Robin Williams placed his signature on the genie character. Genie was a compelling yet animated character. The song Friend like me will make you want to be stuck with the Genie as well. The song screams Vegas, and for sure it's a whole show.

Sing my life: You ain't never had a friend like me

10. I Wanna Be Like You

I'm obsessed with the 1920s jazz era. Actually, my father sold me the Harlem Renaissance. He shared with me the role that black culture and the great minds of that era played on mainstream culture. The Jungle Book is laced with racist undertones, particularly that Louis, king of the apes has a blaccent. But can we appreciate that I Wanna Be Like You is a really groovy song. 

Sing my life: Sometimes we do want to be like the next person, but let it be from a place of inspiration and not envy 

I also love 'True to Your Heart' from Mulan', 'Hell's Fire' from The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and 'Love from Robin Hood'. The list could have been longer, but 10 is a great number. I hope that you enjoyed singing with me.

Disney will always be my favourite fantasy that inspires my reality.

P.S: Always write your own love story.

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

Auld Lang Syne ... Maybe Not All the Time

Sometimes the end is a new beginning!  It's a new year! To be more precise, the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty-two. According to the Hebrew calendar the year is 5782.  The crossover into 2022 was particularly dull due to the curfew. When we say that the pandemic is a buzzkill, the sentiment is real. As a staunch believer in the saying, "How you leave is how you enter," I often enjoy spending my time in church. The service prior to the countdown often invigorates my faith. Praying and seeding on the first day of the 365 or 366 is comforting. Unfortunately, the authorities ensured that the gathering of the saints wouldn't happen on their watch. We had to sit and watch the livestream from home. As the new year came, I started to think of the song synonymous with the new year. Auld Lang Syne. Based on the 18th century Scottish song, the words read: Should Old Acquaintance be forgot, and never thought upon; The flames of Love extinguished, and fully past a...