Skip to main content

The Dirty Laundry Diaries: Colour Me Human

Welcome to the dirty laundry diaries where I shame the name and not name shame…but if the shoe fits…lace that shoe up!

The Tar Baby versus Yellow Bone Syndrome



In the first edition of the dirty laundry diaries, I would like to deal with a rather unkempt, so-called, R&B singer, who by the way annoys the heck out of me and his self-esteem issues. I’m no saint in the issues of esteem but this child, yes child, attempts to be an adult, yet he barely knows what adulthood is, or manhood for that fact, except through the ‘douchebag’ gang he hangs out with.

So this child is a representation of some of the things that I'm not fond of people of my race, (yes, I am black myself), and their inferiority complexes. This child ‘be-gods’- make deity of another mortal; raise another human being to the position of God, the Creator of the Universe; and believe me, (in a Kardashian voice), “It’s so annoying”.

Let's call him Toz (short for tozotaura 'we will speak') with the yellow bone syndrome. Disclaimer, I will be purposely using the derogatory terms “tar baby” and “yellow bone” to express my point of view on the complexes of African people and people of colour with those of lighter skin tones. The use of these words does not reflect my own personal beliefs or views. As a black, Afican woman, I stand to uphold the beauty and nuance of the diversity of people of colour, particularly Africans.

Now back to our conversation. This boy is as dark as night, (without the moon and the stars) and the fact that he doesn’t bath, (in terms of grooming per se), makes it even worse. Did I mention that he talks too much, (yet another candidate who can out-talk me in a ‘talking-marathon’. Though in his early twenties, most of his views sound like they are coming from a juvenile …who is spoilt and directionless.

Anyway for the purpose of this discussion he serves as a good case study. As a woman of colour, I still have no idea what is the fascination by African men with light skinned women, a.k.a, yellow bones. And this child begods not only women, but anybody of ‘yellowness’ as superior, and that they can do no wrong. (I say this rolling my eyes with great annoyance because the child blabs of this certain yellow-boned radio presenter’s so-called flawless beauty or lighter skinned rappers lyrical skills…err, forgive him for thinking that 2pac is a what you gain after a gym work-out, or Wu Tang is a Canadian rapper’s song *smh*).  

It’s pretty irritating when a woman’s beauty is measured by how light skinned she is, but then again, the yellow bones can be the equivalent of Caucasian women who are blonde. (Oh yes, the ‘blonde stereotype also works very, well with yellow bones…in all aspects).

So Toz, has an obsession with light skinned women and will think that anything yellow is hot. That works because the sun is yellow, or is it golden, but is the ‘heat’ a good hot, or hyperbolism of the true essence of having anything ‘yellow’ bringing joy, light and productivity. I talk about this because recently I bumped into a young man who was unrecognizable because he moved from ‘being an ebony' baby to yellow bone, oh yes, he admitted to bleaching his skin. But who does that? Are we as a race so colonized and enslaved that we are afraid of our skin? Are we so blinded by the ambition to become ‘white’ that for as long as we are ebony black we do not believe that we can become anything great.

Unfortunately our African-American celebrities are enslaved to that notion and even if they deny it, we can tell that that they are more “whitenicious” than when they were “pon de replay”, or being “destiny’s child” or dancing “1,2, step”. It’s sad! Yes, in Africa, central Africa and Southern Africa especially, it seems to have the highest consumers of lightening/bleaching creams because we all want to look like ‘people on TV’. It was such a relief to find that an Oscar winning, Kenyan sister gave a speech on beauty and the importance of accepting and loving thyself-but for how long will she be of that notion until the “industry” demands of her to be yellower, or whiter so as to be more appealing to the Caucasian audience?

I personally have been labeled yellow, yet I spent a larger portion of my life as an ‘ugly’, dark skinned, female, due to a skin problem I once had, also it didn’t help that I didn’t have African features (the curvy ‘booty’, etc.), or behave or think like an ‘African’ which brought ridicule upon myself and I was constantly comparing myself to peers who were lighter skinned and considered as ‘pretty’, or ‘hot’.

I guess despite being “dark & ugly”, having been exposed to other races and cultures, now I am the least intimidated by any skin shade. To me we are all human beings, actually, now more than ever I carry the arrogance and pride of having my skin colour, being cultured, being a child of God and being open-mindedly educated. Yellow is not beautiful, neither is red, mocha, brown, or white; there is no need to put people on pedal stools for things they had no talent in creating. Like really, nobody sat in their mothers’ wombs and said to themselves, “When I join the world I will be the most superior being with flawlessness. Black people, Africans need to move away from the “tar baby” mentality whereby we judge beauty, talent or anything noteworthy, or praise worthy by the shade of someone’s skin and discriminate those we assume inferior. Individuals should never get away with mediocrity because they are yellow, or even white.

Toz believes that yellow is the best and he is always annoyingly putting himself and other less lighter-skinned individuals down because they are not ‘bright’ enough. Of course the world is racist and let us not try to pretend that it’s non-existent, but if we, especially black people are constantly bringing each other down in a black versus black war, then we will always remain in that war. I have chosen not to be labeled as a yellow-bone; I find it very offensive as if one has used the n-word on me-NATIVE! Call me by my name. Describe me by my qualities - mainly intellectual and talent rather than your assumption of what’s ‘attractive’ in your perspective.

It is a mindset! I wish that with all the brutality I give this kid, it would be eye-opening to not only him, but to the whole African race that we need to love ourselves, respect ourselves, in any state that we were born whether you are Nguni light skinned, Central and West African dark skinned, East African mixed, North African Arab, or even Albino; there is more to us than the dead layer that houses our minds and souls because as far as history indicates, the ‘Motherland’ was an empire par excellence with its various‘ progressive’ civilizations.

Think HUMAN! Not ‘tar baby with yellow bone’ syndrome.

P.S.: Always write your own love story.

Ciao!

Lady E


Comments

Popular Posts

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

The Writings On The Wall

Thou shall move onto the next! And then 'If You Leave' by Destiny's Child and Next starts to play. Gosh, 'The Writings on the Wall' remains my favourite Destiny's Child album, ever. The concept of the '10 commandments' of relationships. Brilliant!  Bonjour, mes amies! Comment ça va? Ça va bien! (Caribbean accent) Your gyal ,  moi , has been experiencing epiphanies. And a few disappointments, but life is too sweet to be upset. Lick your ice cream and have sweet red wine! I travelled through the blogosphere for inspiration for our topic today. Ironically, I also had a discussion with an acquaintance about a similar topic. There's nothing that I love more than people who brag about their intelligence. Oh, my! People pride themselves on their levels of education, often equating it to intelligence. We assess our value based on having degrees, master's degrees, and doctorates. If only those worked in relationships. I think of David Robson's 'W

Dirty Laundry Diaries: Hurts Like a Mother F***er

My humanity will let me hurt as much as I can and be unapologetic for it… I never thought that I would find myself at this place again. Over the past few years, I learnt the word ‘No’ and embraced my power to reject mediocrity. Be it work, life and even romantic relationships. Sigh! I recently found myself breaking almost every rule of every self-help book that I’ve read. Reading is supposed to empower you with knowledge and also help you with making better life choices! Anyway, I recently had to break it off with some guy because of ‘incorrect assumptions’, when will I ever learn? "In my own rule book,   CONSISTENCY is very important." In my own rule book, CONSISTENCY is very important. The moment that there is lack of consistency during the dating period or in a relationship it’s, “Off with his head” (In the voice of the queen of hearts). Sic! But what started off well, ended up like the familiar script that I have writing about for a long time. As Whitney

Winter ABC Day 6: Thank You Carrie Bradshaw

Who knew that a TV show would be the reason that I intentionally speak my mind? You can learn nothing from television they say. TV makes you dumb! Oh well, maybe so, however one television show was the match for this wildfire. My older sister pulled her hair out when she found out that my young sister and I were watching Sex and the City. Amongst her collection of video cassettes, she had a box set of the guilty pleasure, Sex and the City. The age guide was no under 21; I was 17 and my younger sibling was way too young. You are telling yourself that these adolescents were mischievous, maybe. I believe we were curious and adventurous. I was obsessed with pop culture with the hopes of one day being Lala Vasquez on TRL or hosting E! News. From my collection of People magazine I had read so much about the cast of Sex and the City. There were mentions of the cast members of the hit show in particular Sarah Jessica Parker. SJP as she's affectionately known, played the lead role of