Skip to main content

Dirty Laundry Diaries: The Journey

My Beloved Mr. X

 




Dear Mr. X 

You told me about this journey, a journey you embarked on, hoped that it would go on. You got into your car and you drove and she was on the passenger side; you headed for your destination. But the car broke down, the tyre went flat, and you both couldn't agree. You told her to wait, whilst you fixed the car, but she went on the other side of the road to catch another ride.

Someone should have said, slow down, you will crash, and you will drive off the hill. Slow, you will burn; you will hit the wall.  Slow down, because you were an accident waiting to happen, or maybe a car going nowhere. Slow down; think about it before you take this journey.

I was waiting on the highway, hoping to hitch a ride. Then you stopped your car, you smiled at me and your eyes seemed so kind. You opened the door and said let’s go, so I jumped right in and sat on the passenger’s side. It felt so right for you and me to be on this journey, actually, I thought that we were headed in the same direction because I saw us reaching your destination. But you threw me out of the car and left me in the middle of nowhere; now I’m looking for my way back to the highway.

I’m still by the highway trying to catch a ride. I have seen you drive by this road maybe once or twice. I wish that you would give me another ride, please don’t pass me by because you and I are still headed in the same direction. I would never leave you with a broken-down car, I would help you push it to the next garage, or maybe walk together instead, talking about the journey ahead. Yet, I’m still on this road, and maybe you have forgotten having suffered from concussions because you were an accident waiting to happen… or maybe not. But someone should have told me to slow down.

I am sorry that I was not excellent company that you had to throw me out of your car; or maybe by merely being on the passenger’s side I reminded you of her and at that moment like Usher’s “You Remind Me”, you realized you couldn’t go through the journey with me. Next time that you drive by please pass me my diary which I had purposely left open with contents of not only how I felt about you but even the poetry that you inspired from the very moment that I laid my eyes on you. Please politely pass it even if I am not deserving of that kindness, I might not have filled up the tank, or probably you wanted a token of appreciation like ‘taxi fare’, forgive me for having not asked the terms or conditions of the ride; I rode on the assumption that this ride was one until the end of the journey where both driver and passenger had reached their destination. You picked me up when I was desperate and you drove alone, so I rode on an assumption that we both could keep each other company and get to know each other, discovering new places, viewing familiar scenery from a different perspective and find that one ‘song’ that we both could relate to since I discovered that you and I had a passion for music, so I could only imagine going through the transition of the moods.

I am sorry that I could not be your road trip buddy. I should have asked before I jumped into your car where you were headed or how far you could take me because only then I could have let your car go, thank you for having seen me on this empty road, but we were not heading for the same destination. I sincerely apologize that you always pass this road to find new passengers for the sake of company during joyrides dropping them off and getting new passengers; yet with one 'faithful' passenger, you would reach your destination with. I wish that I wasn't alone on that road then someone would have screamed, “Slow down!” you will crash; you will drive off the hill. Slow down, you are going to burn; you are going to hit the wall. Slow down because you are an accident waiting to happen, or maybe, a car going nowhere. Slow down and think about it before you take on this journey.

I crashed, burned, hit the wall, and drove off the hill. I see your car drive past me as I wait on this highway for an ambulance or a ride to take me to the nearest hospital before I return to the highway; hopefully find that car with a driver who is headed in the same direction as mine. That driver has a similar destination and is eager to take the journey with me, not just as a passenger, but as a companion who too can take over the steering wheel when exhausted until we both get to where we ought to be.


The bottom line, I'm trying to recover from the injury from taking a ride with you. Between the bruised heart and head concussion, it will be a while before I hitchhike. I will ask, where are you heading? Will you need me to fuel up your car, or will there be breaks along the way? 

Maybe next time you pass by, I will first ask you these and other questions. It might change the trajectory of the distance, destination, but most of all, the Journey.

Yours truly

The One

P.S.: Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

Script My Life: Grown-ish Season 2 Episode 18

I choose ME! We watch and I write; correlating fictional characters with reasonably realistic plot lines to our lives. Script my life! I chose not to review a whole season of a series, neither a film this week. I was struggling to write an authentic story about something that spoke to me through visual consumption. And then I felt emotions erupt as I watched the latest episode of Grown-ish. While I sometimes relate to the protagonist, Zoey Johnson, she annoys me more as I watch this second season. I must forgive her because she's a spoilt 19 year old who is yet to learn the realities of growing up. But she does these really annoying things like being judgemental and being up in people's business. I do love Nomi, Sky (Halle Bailey) and Doug (Diggy Simmons) though. Their characters have so much to offer to the show and audience. In this week's episode titled, 'Nice for What', the young women of the coming-of-age sitcom had to make hard relationship choice...