Skip to main content

We Are at the Tip My Friend

Dear beloved, we've come to that point where we are at the tip of the Coca-Cola bottle.


Bonjour mes amis! It seems like déjà-vu writing about friendships yet again. However, some relationships need repeating because we keep making the same mistakes. Remember my previous blog “Fair Weather Friends”? Well chérie, this is the continuation. Like Sierra Tishaj suggested, “If it ain’t growing, it’s gotta go.”

I’m dusting off my Diana Ross records and busting some ‘Ain’t No Mountain High Enough’ moves. Why? Because it’s that time again where I have to say goodbye to people holding me back. Like Ma Nan said in Moonlight, “That thing weighing you down, you got to let it go.” Friends, some of these dynamics I’ve outgrown since high school ha! I thought the telenovela ended in college but the drama kept coming.

Taking inspiration from The Real Lady E’s profound words, “I do have individuals who fit into most of my areas of needs. In turn, they turn to me for their needs. I’m actually a friend in deed.” This is the standard I strive for - reciprocity. My love language is acts of service so I need friends who match my energy. Selfishly, I also want friends taking me to my next level, not stuck on replay in my feelings.

Some folks will forever be your past present like Barrack and Michelle said, “When you’re too busy holding on to what’s gone, you lose sight of what’s still here.” I’m learning that my childhood bestie doesn’t have to be who she was before baby, before marriage. We evolve and that’s okay. Sometimes that person is now meant to mirror who we used to be so we appreciate how far we’ve come. Like in Girlfriends, remember Joan’s breakdown when Toni moved? We all need that one person to remind us where we started so we never lose touch with ourselves.

I also came to terms that my college clique wasn’t forever, that season ended. While I still love those ladies, our paths have forked. Hola new chapter! Hello making space for new soulmates who pour into my vision. I’m claiming that growth mindset where I learn from new people unlike Amanda said in Paper Towns “People aren't either bad or good. They're like chef's salads, with good things and bad things sliced and mixed together in a person.”

The moral of the story amiga? Know when to say sayonara to the berries in your chef salad ruining your flavour. This doesn’t mean you don’t appreciate those relationships or wishing ill on past season friends. It simply means choosing yourself and evolving into your fullest potential. Now go shake the haters off with your best Diana Ross and own your space and season fully! Ciao for now.


In my last blog 'Fair Weather Friends', I discussed the importance of understanding the seasons of friendships. We've understood that different friends come into our lives during certain seasons to play varying roles. However, we've arrived at a crossroads where some seasons are ending and new ones are beginning. As Lady E wisely said, "Friendships are like a Coca-Cola bottle, as you grow older you know that you will eventually be at the tip."

Some of our childhood, high school or college friendships still linger like the ghosts of our past. Like the Pretty Little Liars clique, we try to hold onto relationships that no longer serve us. For some of us, loyalty clouds our vision from recognizing when friendships have run their course. While sentiment blurs the truth - that people grow apart. We fail to see when friends become shadows of who we once were together rather than mirrors of who we are becoming.

Does this sound familiar mis amores? We cling onto friendships forged through hard times because trauma bonded us. But we forget that different seasons require different relations. Friends who supported our 'rough patches' may not encourage our evolution. Much like Issa and Molly in Insecure, sometimes we drift from friends as we drift into new chapters of our lives. As Joan and Toni demonstrated in Girlfriends, physical distances don't always equate emotional distances - true friends let each other spread their wings.

La vérité, some friends linger like guessu in our lives weighing us down. We tolerate dynamics that stunt our progress because change is scarier than convenience. But why settle for the familiar when we were born to spread our colors brightly? Life offers new hues if we allow old canvases to fade gracefully into lessons of the past. Every sunset makes way for a dawn of new possibilities.

Mes cheris, the time has come to bid adieu to relationships keeping us tethered to who we've been rather than empowering who we are becoming. Un-entangle yourself from ties that tighten at the thought of your evolution. Have courage to embrace the uncertainty of transforming friendships. For inside each ending lies the promise of new beginnings. Our seasons may change mis amigos, but growing remains the only constant. When the bottle tips, let your old leaves blow free as branches because only roots remain forever.

C'est la vie, et c'est l'amour! Now who's ready to spread their wings into brighter skies? The future awaits, let us fly together but proudly apart when our paths diverge. Bonne chance et bon courage!


 

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

MPV.....my point of view!

Don't take anything personal because it's my point of view! But if you can relate, let's have this conversation. I began my journey with my point of view last year,however to give you a feel of my writing you can follow my facebook timeline for Elspeth Chimedza (my birth name). All my blogs are posts titled MPV....my point of view! The topics are: Single ladies        Coyote Ugly                                           Serendipity                                                               The Great expectations Script My life:Love Jones The Promise:When I Say I do! Stripped Single Ladies Part2 Swagger Like My Daddy Rated R Make It Work It's not you....maybe it's me Girl Power Stupid In l...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...