Skip to main content

Between Friends

I don't want to make it a thing, but I think that I see my friend differently.




Yep! I had a halo moment with one of my closest and dearest friends. I've always appreciated him as a decent human being. He's actually my safe space. I love being around him and feeling comfortable to be myself. He is one of my biggest cheerleaders. I don't know what I would do without him.

We spent the day together. We've both been going through different life struggles. We needed each other. To talk. Get things off the chest. Vent. And on my part even cry. And of course, there's always room for a shot or two. Honestly, I missed him. I've been so wrapped up in work that our schedules didn't match up. While stressful, I love the free time.

Had forgotten that he's such a sweet man. We still disagree on a lot but who else do I want debates with. And yes, I do love him from the depths of my soul. And that's why, the idea of he and I shifting the platonic to romantic isn't the wisest. I know, I always say that what I'm looking for could be right in front of me. It's said that best friends make the best lovers. True to a larger degree. However, we can lose great friendships because we inserted sex and relationship complications.

Our friendship took years to reach that space of mutual respect. That space where he and I could be open and vulnerable with each other. Without judgement. He and I have a dynamic friendship. We don't always see each other, but when we do, it's like we never lost time. I know that he knows most of my secrets that my girlfriends don't know about. No offence to my girls, he's great at offering a pros and cons perspective. Love y'all. 

The question is, are we "When Harry Met Sally"? Can a heterosexual man and woman be just friends? I recall sharing my experiences with the friend zone. I don't friend zone. It's either as a potential love interest you are in the gray zone or you are a man I do work collaborations with. For the latter, I won't lie there are chances of becoming platonic friends. Well, from my gaze, because I really prefer to trust the people whom I share my vision and business with. 

There is a lot of misinformation about how people perceive friendships between men and women. There is a lot of misinformation about how men and women perceive platonic friendships. There are a lot of misconceptions about how people should behave in relationships. There are a lot of different perceptions of relationships. There are also a lot of different perceptions of what people want in a relationship.

Some people just go for the type of person they like and stay friends or go on dates with them. Others fall in love and have a serious relationship. Some people are into casual relationships and others are not. People are different and have different relationships with the people they are interested in.

Now back to my friend. I think that because I've been in a rather vulnerable state, I'm looking for a hero. Most of me is tired of the searching, waiting and mostly failing. Maybe that halo emaneted from my insecurities of never finding 'the one'. So who would be the most attractive individual to my needs? My friend.But again is a really good friendship worth ruining by taking things further. 

We have to ask ourselves again, if ever I was attracted to that friend in the first place? Or does familiarity breed attraction? What happens between friends? It could be Chante Moore's "I See You", Mario's "Just a Friend", or end up as Mary J. Blige's "Seven Days."

What happens between friends? You make your choice and hopefully you can live with it.

P.S.: Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E


Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

Script My Life: Grown-ish Season 2 Episode 18

I choose ME! We watch and I write; correlating fictional characters with reasonably realistic plot lines to our lives. Script my life! I chose not to review a whole season of a series, neither a film this week. I was struggling to write an authentic story about something that spoke to me through visual consumption. And then I felt emotions erupt as I watched the latest episode of Grown-ish. While I sometimes relate to the protagonist, Zoey Johnson, she annoys me more as I watch this second season. I must forgive her because she's a spoilt 19 year old who is yet to learn the realities of growing up. But she does these really annoying things like being judgemental and being up in people's business. I do love Nomi, Sky (Halle Bailey) and Doug (Diggy Simmons) though. Their characters have so much to offer to the show and audience. In this week's episode titled, 'Nice for What', the young women of the coming-of-age sitcom had to make hard relationship choice...