Skip to main content

F.R.I.E.N.D.S

Friends!

'So noone told you that life was gonna be this way*clap,clap*/Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life like DOA...'-The Rembrandts

Friends. I loved that show and I enjoy watching the encore of the seasons. Friends. My daughter is always saying, 'Mummy,I'm not your friend!', (of course sweety, I'm your mother).

Friendships - overrated; friend, the most widely abused word. Like everything in the 21st century, friendship has taken a whole new twist. Apparently the whole world is one's 'friends' *rolling my eyes*. I am not a sceptic, but I have been through a whole lot of drama thanks to these so-called 'friends'.

I think that I am one of the very few people who truly puts value to friendships, (don't take my word for it,ask my friends). I believe first and far most in loyalty. Strike out on that one with me, off with your head.

What is a friend? I am not going to bore y'all with the dictionary meaning. A real friend is a real pain in the wrong places. At times self conceited, hogging most of your conversations with problems about themselves, (sure,it's a tragedy your hubby got you from China, a Chanel handbag, instead of Rock 'n' Republic *sticking tounge out*).

A friend will borrow your clothes and not return them, eat up most of your food, and call you in the middle of the night so you can bail them out of jail (for public drinking or indecent exposure). Real friends really suck.

But then again, they are the people who will tell you the hard truth that takes you out of the self-pity lane. They will get you all the fatty foods for that sugar rush when you are feeling depressed. They will take you out for drinks and ensure that you are thoroughly sloshed. They will cheer you on at an Idols audition (I guess they will be tone deaf *bless them*).

Friends, I have many of those. The real, the fake and many frenemies. But for those who are my "real" friends, I am blessed (and they are even more honoured to have me as their friend *wink*).

If you want to know if a person can be trusted, look at the friends they have who have known them the longest. If an individual does not have any childhood friends in their present life and is always constantly changing circles, that means they lack that important friendship value and loyalty.

My best friend, (love that girl to bits),and I, have been 'together',since grade school. We are countries apart,but she is still my rock,(the one person I can trust to pray for me). I have over the years made different circles of friends, from high school, church,training school and now, in my artistic circles. There is a lot of exchange of value in these relationships.

But I must say, if ever there is a circle that defines the word 'friend' for me, it is my family. If you thought that the 'Sopranos',Kardashians,or Braxtons were anything of 'keeping it in the family', you have not met mine. Yes,we are blood,but we are also friends. I can literary 'go out' with my family and have the time of my life.

They are critical,(they make Simon Cowell look like a saint), but their criticism and advice is mostly constructive. They also make the best cheerleading squad, (without the pom poms). They are the colourful threads on my beautiful garment. (Did I mention that we all really know how to rock a party?)

Yep. I also work with some of my many siblings, on many different projects. Though it would be nice to spend time with friends outside my family circle, we rarely have time for each other. It does not mean that if people do not communicate as much,or spend time together, that they are not friends. Friendships kind of complicate as people get older.

Yes, everybody needs friends. No man is an island, and if one can find one, or two, or a clique of friends, whom they can lean on and also share the wonderful, little things in life, that is pretty awsome.

'I'll be there for you....would you be there for me too!'- I'll be there for you, (The Rembrandts).

Thank y'all for being my friends. I am always here for you.(My MPV and I).

P.S: Always write your own love story.

Ciao!

Lady E

Copyright [c] MPV by Lady E All Rights Reserved 2013

Comments

Popular Posts

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

The Writings On The Wall

Thou shall move onto the next! And then 'If You Leave' by Destiny's Child and Next starts to play. Gosh, 'The Writings on the Wall' remains my favourite Destiny's Child album, ever. The concept of the '10 commandments' of relationships. Brilliant!  Bonjour, mes amies! Comment ça va? Ça va bien! (Caribbean accent) Your gyal ,  moi , has been experiencing epiphanies. And a few disappointments, but life is too sweet to be upset. Lick your ice cream and have sweet red wine! I travelled through the blogosphere for inspiration for our topic today. Ironically, I also had a discussion with an acquaintance about a similar topic. There's nothing that I love more than people who brag about their intelligence. Oh, my! People pride themselves on their levels of education, often equating it to intelligence. We assess our value based on having degrees, master's degrees, and doctorates. If only those worked in relationships. I think of David Robson's 'W

Chocolate!

Oogling and drooling as I lust after the delicious,yummy chocolate abs of...gush...Trey Songz in a music video. My male friends look at me as if I'm some perverted male...maybe I am. Sadly as a woman such men are just a mirage in a desert full of pot bellied men.Yes,I said it!I believe I speak on behalf of my sisters,who have been termed 'overambitious',and having high standards in the looks department.We would love to see more abs and less flab. Why our brothers keep mount Everests of flesh I fail to understand.Worse still,men boobs that could hold shares in a dairy company. Who would blame me.I become a pervert because Usher's six-pack makes me want to eat of it,or I'm actually envious of Generations' Queen Moroka having 'Muscle man' Lungile,hold her in his arms.Yes,guilty as charged! What my brothers should understand is most women already have stuffed toys,a new addition in the form of a man is not adorable.A little working out w

Dirty Laundry Diaries: Hurts Like a Mother F***er

My humanity will let me hurt as much as I can and be unapologetic for it… I never thought that I would find myself at this place again. Over the past few years, I learnt the word ‘No’ and embraced my power to reject mediocrity. Be it work, life and even romantic relationships. Sigh! I recently found myself breaking almost every rule of every self-help book that I’ve read. Reading is supposed to empower you with knowledge and also help you with making better life choices! Anyway, I recently had to break it off with some guy because of ‘incorrect assumptions’, when will I ever learn? "In my own rule book,   CONSISTENCY is very important." In my own rule book, CONSISTENCY is very important. The moment that there is lack of consistency during the dating period or in a relationship it’s, “Off with his head” (In the voice of the queen of hearts). Sic! But what started off well, ended up like the familiar script that I have writing about for a long time. As Whitney