Skip to main content

The Faults With Karma Part 2

I ain't got time to be wishing the next person the worst!



But people of my race enjoy watching other people suffer. I recall last week's conversation at the hair salon. We discussed the challenges of being black. Our challenge has little to do with the Caucasians or Asians but ourselves. I'm still waiting for the day that we take ownership of screwing up our own economy. I have a dream that geriatric African leaders will own their failures to build legacies for generations to come. But like Martin Luther King, that dream is likely to happen after I'm gone.

To quote Chika Onyeani from his book 'Capitalist Nigger',

"
But rather than address the problems, we resort to blaming the Caucasians, Asians and others for our misfortune. We are not men enough to accept responsibility for our actions.


Greed, selfishness, and complacency is a black thing. Mainly greed has destroyed economies, ignited civil unrest, caused havoc in communities, and even divided families. I am yet to meet a black person who empowers other black people. I am yet to meet a black person who celebrates the growth and success of others. And I am yet to meet an angry black person who doesn't curse the next person who has wronged them.

After discussing 'karma', I remain steadfast in my belief that there is no such thing. To add on, I no longer wish the worst for my transgressors. I don't even take joy at the downfall of my enemies. That mindset is both ignorant and immature. What the hell is wrong with you?

Growing up, I had certain relatives say to me, "You will never succeed because you did this or that, or because you are this." Sometimes my sister uses those statements on me. Did that hurt? Definitely, again, what the hell is wrong with you? I don't have a thick skin but I have learnt to ignore such statements. Ever say that to me in my face, I will roll my eyes and look at you the way I looked at psychiatric patients.

It is not what you call me,
but what I answer to, that matters most.- African Proverb


I have had my fair share of being a total b***h. I accept responsibility for my acid tongue and condescension. At some point, I used to wish the worst for those who wronged me. I remember cursing Mr. X, even swearing upon my late mother's grave. Boy, was I bitter!

With time, therapy, and healing, I reiterated my words. But words are dangerous. Once said, you can never take them back. The book of Proverbs in the Bible states, "Thou art snared with the words of thy mouth, thou art taken with the words of thy mouth." Verbal incontinence is an illness of the mind and spirit. One has to check themselves, and the level of Adolf Hitler in themselves.

My sister's choice of friends can leave little to be desired. Still, she's a grown woman and we aren't in middle school. I remember that I was annoyed by this one friend of hers. Well, I was experiencing my mean girl phase. I met her this one-time taking public transport. She looked frail and sad. She wasn't dolled up and rolling in some boyfriend's car. She had fallen from glory. Now, Cruella de Vil in me would have rejoiced at this sight. Instead, I felt sorry for her, where I offered friendship to her. "If you need someone to talk to or just hang out, call me!" Mios dios, was this me? Look I still didn't like her, but I wouldn't wish her situation on anyone.

Over the years, a divorce between 'karmic' ideologies and myself occurred. If tragedy befalls anyone, chances are they make poor decisions or someone else made them. Take the scenario of a car accident for instance. If a drunk driver slams into your car or runs over you, it's that driver's fault. If they incarcerate the driver, it's not karma, it's the law. I don't understand how that adds up to karma.

Remember I mentioned that even if you wish someone the worst, chances they will progress. Now if you are a person of faith, if they aren't punished, you will eventually question your faith, or hate God. Don't even try holding your breath about your vindication during your lifetime. Your transgressors will hashtag blessed to your frustration. They will live their best life, get paid more, enjoy a loving relationship, and even go on multiple vacations. And therefore I don't understand people of my race. That ideology that because they wronged you, then they must suffer. And then if they suffer does that put food on your table or add oxygen to your lungs?

I don't hate black people, I'm very proud of who I am. My challenge is the backward mentality. The sabotage, and that need to be the only successful person in the clan or community. I have experienced people who want me to struggle so I ask them for help. When they do that, they use that assistance against you. Suddenly, you owe them, or they own you. Some will brag about 'helping' you and even gossip about you. And then you ask what's the point? That's black people for you.

In a recent experience, a member of our circle has come into money. Her business is thriving, and she accumulated disposable income. One of us asked her to show us the ropes, and she laughed about it. She never gave feedback. In addition, her association with the circle is dwindling. As we all have been analyzing this growth and success, I cheered her on. I mentioned though that if we were really 'friends', isn't it good to empower the circle? Offer advice and assist with connections. My sister said that I shouldn't feel entitled. That wasn't an entitlement.

I admire the Jewish community and its financial ecosystem. I study Indians within our society and how they circulate money amongst themselves. They support each other's businesses and ensure that no 'African Indian' is poor. According to Chika Onyeani, it's called the 'spider web' economic theory. This means that once money comes into their community, it doesn't leave their community. Rarely do African Indians bank their money with the rest of the population. They often build enormous houses often with a modern touch. Their neighborhoods are life - lavish. And with some generosity, some even have boreholes outside their yards for people to fetch. I have fetched drinking water from a mosque several times. Talk about applying the law of giving! And it shall be given unto you, pressed down, shaken together and running over.

If only the same spider web mentality applied to my people. We rarely support locally owned businesses. We invest in other economies rather than ours. Money doesn't circulate within our communities, rather it disappears altogether. I would love to be part of that spider Web community. It's my mandate to empower those within my circle. My philosophy is we eat together. I yearn for my friends and inner circle to thrive. I desire for my hairdresser, the individual who does my make up, or photography, or graphic designing to be at the same economic level as myself. Why should I be the only one having the cake?

Yes, as black as I am, I believe that the community must develop. Now, I am not my race's saviour, but I can contribute to making a difference. It begins with a mentality shift. It starts with turning the other cheek. It's that seventy times seven forgiveness theory. You can't be wishing people ill.

You can't be dancing at someone's demise. Again, what the hell is wrong with you? As a people, we need to stop all this 'karma' bs. You also wrong people daily. The rain will always pour on both the rich and the poor. The sun will always shine on both vultures and doves. My point, whatever malice that you aim for the next individual, might befall you. Not because of karma, but your absorption and obsession with a vengeance will be the death of you. You waste time with anger, manipulation, and schemes.

Again, will my suffering add food to your cupboard? Will you wake up with six figures in your bank account? Does it make you a better human being? I think not!

There's no such thing as karma...

... but everybody dies!

Namaste!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

The Writings On The Wall

Thou shall move onto the next! And then 'If You Leave' by Destiny's Child and Next starts to play. Gosh, 'The Writings on the Wall' remains my favourite Destiny's Child album, ever. The concept of the '10 commandments' of relationships. Brilliant!  Bonjour, mes amies! Comment ça va? Ça va bien! (Caribbean accent) Your gyal ,  moi , has been experiencing epiphanies. And a few disappointments, but life is too sweet to be upset. Lick your ice cream and have sweet red wine! I travelled through the blogosphere for inspiration for our topic today. Ironically, I also had a discussion with an acquaintance about a similar topic. There's nothing that I love more than people who brag about their intelligence. Oh, my! People pride themselves on their levels of education, often equating it to intelligence. We assess our value based on having degrees, master's degrees, and doctorates. If only those worked in relationships. I think of David Robson's 'W

Dirty Laundry Diaries: Hurts Like a Mother F***er

My humanity will let me hurt as much as I can and be unapologetic for it… I never thought that I would find myself at this place again. Over the past few years, I learnt the word ‘No’ and embraced my power to reject mediocrity. Be it work, life and even romantic relationships. Sigh! I recently found myself breaking almost every rule of every self-help book that I’ve read. Reading is supposed to empower you with knowledge and also help you with making better life choices! Anyway, I recently had to break it off with some guy because of ‘incorrect assumptions’, when will I ever learn? "In my own rule book,   CONSISTENCY is very important." In my own rule book, CONSISTENCY is very important. The moment that there is lack of consistency during the dating period or in a relationship it’s, “Off with his head” (In the voice of the queen of hearts). Sic! But what started off well, ended up like the familiar script that I have writing about for a long time. As Whitney

Winter ABC Day 6: Thank You Carrie Bradshaw

Who knew that a TV show would be the reason that I intentionally speak my mind? You can learn nothing from television they say. TV makes you dumb! Oh well, maybe so, however one television show was the match for this wildfire. My older sister pulled her hair out when she found out that my young sister and I were watching Sex and the City. Amongst her collection of video cassettes, she had a box set of the guilty pleasure, Sex and the City. The age guide was no under 21; I was 17 and my younger sibling was way too young. You are telling yourself that these adolescents were mischievous, maybe. I believe we were curious and adventurous. I was obsessed with pop culture with the hopes of one day being Lala Vasquez on TRL or hosting E! News. From my collection of People magazine I had read so much about the cast of Sex and the City. There were mentions of the cast members of the hit show in particular Sarah Jessica Parker. SJP as she's affectionately known, played the lead role of