Skip to main content

Script My Life: Single Moms Club

My desire is to raise a healthy, responsible human being...



Tyler Perry Single Moms Club Gold Poster

...who won't need a shrink, go to jail or end up in the grave (untimely). January disease and the scorching African weather had me indoors over the weekend. Honestly, I'm nothing but nonchalant.

Staying indoors gave me time to watch television. In between naps and sharing the remote with my nine year old, I found time to watch a few good flicks. One that spoke to me is Tyler Perry's 'Single Moms Club'. I had watched it twice before however this time I felt a strong connection to the story line.

I have never made it a secret about the challenges of being a parent, single and raising a child on my own. God has been good to me that members of my family have supported me. During the hardest times, they backed me financially. I have a wonderful cousin who made the early stages of motherhood bearable as I was a complete headless chicken. Tyler Perry has always understood me, he somehow scripts my life in his screenplays.

The movie which premiered back in 2015, stars Tyler Perry himself, Amy Smart, Nia Long, Eddie Cibrian, William Levy, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Cocoa Brown, Terry Crews, and Zulay Henao. The movie is about five single mothers who meet their children's teacher after detention for misconduct. The women have different backgrounds and stories as to what led them to be single parents. The teacher decides to assign the mothers to organising the school's fundraising dance.

Now in femaledom, cattiness and mean girls don't end in high school or Love and Hip Hop, in mummy hood it's there. There is Leah who is a tough, mother of three from the hood. She and ambitious, Jen who had a child under an anonymous sperm donor bump heads. May is the writer at a local newspaper, while Hillary is the clueless newly divorced mum of three. Esperanza is the divorcee with a controlling ex husband.

The women don't start off well. But with each woman you can see their many challenges of trying to balance work, their kids and life itself. The women agree to meet up at Hillary's place. Leah is the first to arrive to see a helpless Hillary trying to put her baby to sleep. Leah offers her assistance whilst giving Hill some tough love. The other women arrive and all sit down to a bottle of wine.

Each woman then shares her daily struggles and how they could use some help.  They form the 'Single Moms Club' to help ease one another's burdens by taking turns to watch over the children. The other women go out to have a good time and in the process, find love again.

Each woman is part of my own script, well except Esperanza. I don't have a hot, possessive ex. But I share Leah, Jen and May's struggles. 

Scene with Nia Long, Amy Smart, Zulay Henao and Cocoa Brown, on Single Moms club

 

Raise your glasses if you are a mother and giving it your all to raise your children!

Cheers!

P.S. : Always write your own love story.

Lady E

Ciao!

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...