Skip to main content

Sing My Life: Break My Soul

Let's get ready for a renaissance of life!


Beyoncé Renaissance 2022


Following that rather intense article, I want to end my week on a high note. It just so happens that it's Bey Day! Not Beyoncé's birthday but rather the album release of Queen Bey's seventh studio album, RENAISSANCE.

As per usual the internet is on fire as the Bey hive and music lovers listen in on the record. Remember it's been six years since Beyoncé released a Beyoncé record. 'Lemonade' had women of colour travelling through Bey's stages of anger. The artistic visuals paired with Warsan Shire's thought-provoking poetry still leave me shook. (Oh yes, 'Lemonade' visuals are my envision of black female hood). And 'Formation' is top of my morning playlist.

Of course, there was the collaborative 'Black Is King', which was accompanied by the aesthetically pleasing visuals. Not to mention the plethora of African creatives on the award-winning record including my favourites Burna Boy, Wizkid, Busiswa, Yemi Alade and Tiwa Savage on vocals. The best Africa diaspora meets the motherland project to date.

But yes, here comes an album that carries politically charged undertones yet offers a great escape. I still need a real break, a holiday from this life. I guess 'RENAISSANCE' will be a good way to start. According to the Oxford dictionary, the word 'renaissance' is a noun that means in this context, a revival of or renewed interest in something. Inspired by the COVID-19 pandemic, lockdowns, and political uprisings across the world, the Houston native decided to place her energy in music. And this record gets a "yaaass queen" from me! (Followed by snapping of fingers)

But to sing my life I return to the single, "Break My Soul". Released back in June where Bey made her album announcement, the track is nostalgic. The dance track samples the 90s classic, Robin S.’s hit, “Show Me Love." If you check out my Spotify account, I have a playlist dedicated to dance and electronic music. I have everything from Dr. Alban, to Technotronics, Real McCoy, La Bouche, C&C Music Factory and Haddaway to name but a few. When I reflect, the 90s were a simpler time. Vibrant and eclectic from fashion to music and even socio-economically.

'Break My Soul' also pays homage to queer culture particularly 'ballroom'. I watched and loved Billy Porter, Dominique Jackson and MJ Rodriguez performances in 'Pose'. And this came after I watched 'Paris is Burning' - the documentary which showcased the New York ball culture from 1986 to 1989. I learnt a lot about the culture that paved way for RuPaul's Drag Race. I learnt about the influence on Madonna’s 'Vogue', and where we get the sassy clapback. Ironically (or strategically) June is Pride month, and Queen Bey had to snatch wigs and edges. In addition, Big Freedia's 'Explode' is sampled and featured on the hit single.

But why did I choose this particular track as a soundtrack? In the first verse, Beyoncé sings:

Now, I just fell in love/And I just quit my job/I'm gonna find new drive/Damn, they work me so damn hard/Work by nine/Then off past five/And they work my nerves/That's why I cannot sleep at night."

I'm now back to freelance work. Back in March, a burnt out me handed in my resignation. I was out of love with my then job. My mental health suffered, I was physically exhausted and depressed. I did my best to manage my finances despite knowing that I was way worth more than what I received. Reports of the Great Resignation have been shared across various news and lifestyle platforms. The pandemic made many people realise the benefits of working from home, taking care of their mental health and improved work conditions. Remember, we are all going through recessions across the globe. There's no luxury in handing over your resignation without a back-up plan.

So, Beyoncé shows acknowledgement that the traditional 9 to 5 is a broken system. But coming from one of the richest women in the world, the lyrics are hypocritical. The 40-year-old entertainment mogul has benefited greatly from the same capitalist system. I listened to this song as I packed my desk. No solid back-up plan yet feeling free. "You won't break my soul/You won't break my soul," a soul that really needed renewal and mending. For the longest time, I had been dead inside, functioning on auto pilot. I wouldn’t advise anyone to quit their job but do find something that sustainably lights up your fire.

"I'm lookin' for motivation/I'm lookin' for a new foundation, yeah/And I'm on that new vibration/I'm buildin' my own foundation, yeah." I'm all about energy and more as I become spiritually intuitive. Every prayer to God and my ancestors is about remaining in good energy even as I walk through the negative. That my spirit and soul are alive. That I have more than enough to pour into my work, passions and loved ones. Looking at my resume, I have built a foundation, not sure how strong. I am looking for motivation. Motivation to be fearless and work smart so that I am financially viable and capable. While I'd love to escape, bills gotta be paid, my child needs to be fed and bread needs to be made.

The cathartic moment from "Break My Soul" is Big Freedia's verse, "Release ya anger, release ya mind/Release ya job, release the time/Release ya trade, release the stress/Release the love, forget the rest." I don’t know how many times I've screamed out of frustration. My geographical location still remains one of the bleakest and economically f**ked up places to have dreams, let alone inhabit. Project relocation underway!

But I feel free!

'Break My Soul' is more than just a dance song. It's a true renaissance of self. It actually reminds me of another 'feel good' dance classic. Rosalla Miller's 'Everybody's Free' (to feel good). "I'm takin' my new salvation/ And I'ma build my own foundation." Why be negative, when you can be positive? I know that it's not going to be easy, but I have hope.

You won't break my soul (You won't)
You won't break my soul (Break my soul)
You won't break my soul (You won't)
You won't break my soul (Break my soul)
And I'm tellin' everybody (Everybody)
Everybody (Everybody)
Everybody (Everybody)
Everybody, yeah

It's a time for revival to move past survival, it's time to live!

Here's to staying alive.

Until the next song lyrics...

P.S.: Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

The Writings On The Wall

Thou shall move onto the next! And then 'If You Leave' by Destiny's Child and Next starts to play. Gosh, 'The Writings on the Wall' remains my favourite Destiny's Child album, ever. The concept of the '10 commandments' of relationships. Brilliant!  Bonjour, mes amies! Comment ça va? Ça va bien! (Caribbean accent) Your gyal ,  moi , has been experiencing epiphanies. And a few disappointments, but life is too sweet to be upset. Lick your ice cream and have sweet red wine! I travelled through the blogosphere for inspiration for our topic today. Ironically, I also had a discussion with an acquaintance about a similar topic. There's nothing that I love more than people who brag about their intelligence. Oh, my! People pride themselves on their levels of education, often equating it to intelligence. We assess our value based on having degrees, master's degrees, and doctorates. If only those worked in relationships. I think of David Robson's 'W

Dirty Laundry Diaries: Hurts Like a Mother F***er

My humanity will let me hurt as much as I can and be unapologetic for it… I never thought that I would find myself at this place again. Over the past few years, I learnt the word ‘No’ and embraced my power to reject mediocrity. Be it work, life and even romantic relationships. Sigh! I recently found myself breaking almost every rule of every self-help book that I’ve read. Reading is supposed to empower you with knowledge and also help you with making better life choices! Anyway, I recently had to break it off with some guy because of ‘incorrect assumptions’, when will I ever learn? "In my own rule book,   CONSISTENCY is very important." In my own rule book, CONSISTENCY is very important. The moment that there is lack of consistency during the dating period or in a relationship it’s, “Off with his head” (In the voice of the queen of hearts). Sic! But what started off well, ended up like the familiar script that I have writing about for a long time. As Whitney

Script My Life: The Greatest Roles

Cheers to a new month, new season and more scripts... I really need new flicks to watch! I will admit that I haven't caught up with the late 2018 and early 2019 movies. But I know that after this blog post, y'all will hook me up. XOXO in advance! We are in the month of August! The second month in the second half of the year! A happy birthday to all the Leos and Virgos! Some of the greats were born this month including my beautiful daughter, Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston. August babies are strong willed and have leadership bred in them. They are just a forceful lot! In the Shona language, August is ' Nyamavhuvhu ' which loosely translated means 'windy'. August babies aren't gentle breezes, they are the tornados and hurricanes; but we love them still! The month itself on this side of the hemisphere is windy! But the wind comes to somewhat renew and pave way for the brief spring season (in Africa, of course!) Wrapping up July, and starting o