Skip to main content

Sing My Life: Break My Soul

Let's get ready for a renaissance of life!


Beyoncé Renaissance 2022


Following that rather intense article, I want to end my week on a high note. It just so happens that it's Bey Day! Not Beyoncé's birthday but rather the album release of Queen Bey's seventh studio album, RENAISSANCE.

As per usual the internet is on fire as the Bey hive and music lovers listen in on the record. Remember it's been six years since Beyoncé released a Beyoncé record. 'Lemonade' had women of colour travelling through Bey's stages of anger. The artistic visuals paired with Warsan Shire's thought-provoking poetry still leave me shook. (Oh yes, 'Lemonade' visuals are my envision of black female hood). And 'Formation' is top of my morning playlist.

Of course, there was the collaborative 'Black Is King', which was accompanied by the aesthetically pleasing visuals. Not to mention the plethora of African creatives on the award-winning record including my favourites Burna Boy, Wizkid, Busiswa, Yemi Alade and Tiwa Savage on vocals. The best Africa diaspora meets the motherland project to date.

But yes, here comes an album that carries politically charged undertones yet offers a great escape. I still need a real break, a holiday from this life. I guess 'RENAISSANCE' will be a good way to start. According to the Oxford dictionary, the word 'renaissance' is a noun that means in this context, a revival of or renewed interest in something. Inspired by the COVID-19 pandemic, lockdowns, and political uprisings across the world, the Houston native decided to place her energy in music. And this record gets a "yaaass queen" from me! (Followed by snapping of fingers)

But to sing my life I return to the single, "Break My Soul". Released back in June where Bey made her album announcement, the track is nostalgic. The dance track samples the 90s classic, Robin S.’s hit, “Show Me Love." If you check out my Spotify account, I have a playlist dedicated to dance and electronic music. I have everything from Dr. Alban, to Technotronics, Real McCoy, La Bouche, C&C Music Factory and Haddaway to name but a few. When I reflect, the 90s were a simpler time. Vibrant and eclectic from fashion to music and even socio-economically.

'Break My Soul' also pays homage to queer culture particularly 'ballroom'. I watched and loved Billy Porter, Dominique Jackson and MJ Rodriguez performances in 'Pose'. And this came after I watched 'Paris is Burning' - the documentary which showcased the New York ball culture from 1986 to 1989. I learnt a lot about the culture that paved way for RuPaul's Drag Race. I learnt about the influence on Madonna’s 'Vogue', and where we get the sassy clapback. Ironically (or strategically) June is Pride month, and Queen Bey had to snatch wigs and edges. In addition, Big Freedia's 'Explode' is sampled and featured on the hit single.

But why did I choose this particular track as a soundtrack? In the first verse, Beyoncé sings:

Now, I just fell in love/And I just quit my job/I'm gonna find new drive/Damn, they work me so damn hard/Work by nine/Then off past five/And they work my nerves/That's why I cannot sleep at night."

I'm now back to freelance work. Back in March, a burnt out me handed in my resignation. I was out of love with my then job. My mental health suffered, I was physically exhausted and depressed. I did my best to manage my finances despite knowing that I was way worth more than what I received. Reports of the Great Resignation have been shared across various news and lifestyle platforms. The pandemic made many people realise the benefits of working from home, taking care of their mental health and improved work conditions. Remember, we are all going through recessions across the globe. There's no luxury in handing over your resignation without a back-up plan.

So, Beyoncé shows acknowledgement that the traditional 9 to 5 is a broken system. But coming from one of the richest women in the world, the lyrics are hypocritical. The 40-year-old entertainment mogul has benefited greatly from the same capitalist system. I listened to this song as I packed my desk. No solid back-up plan yet feeling free. "You won't break my soul/You won't break my soul," a soul that really needed renewal and mending. For the longest time, I had been dead inside, functioning on auto pilot. I wouldn’t advise anyone to quit their job but do find something that sustainably lights up your fire.

"I'm lookin' for motivation/I'm lookin' for a new foundation, yeah/And I'm on that new vibration/I'm buildin' my own foundation, yeah." I'm all about energy and more as I become spiritually intuitive. Every prayer to God and my ancestors is about remaining in good energy even as I walk through the negative. That my spirit and soul are alive. That I have more than enough to pour into my work, passions and loved ones. Looking at my resume, I have built a foundation, not sure how strong. I am looking for motivation. Motivation to be fearless and work smart so that I am financially viable and capable. While I'd love to escape, bills gotta be paid, my child needs to be fed and bread needs to be made.

The cathartic moment from "Break My Soul" is Big Freedia's verse, "Release ya anger, release ya mind/Release ya job, release the time/Release ya trade, release the stress/Release the love, forget the rest." I don’t know how many times I've screamed out of frustration. My geographical location still remains one of the bleakest and economically f**ked up places to have dreams, let alone inhabit. Project relocation underway!

But I feel free!

'Break My Soul' is more than just a dance song. It's a true renaissance of self. It actually reminds me of another 'feel good' dance classic. Rosalla Miller's 'Everybody's Free' (to feel good). "I'm takin' my new salvation/ And I'ma build my own foundation." Why be negative, when you can be positive? I know that it's not going to be easy, but I have hope.

You won't break my soul (You won't)
You won't break my soul (Break my soul)
You won't break my soul (You won't)
You won't break my soul (Break my soul)
And I'm tellin' everybody (Everybody)
Everybody (Everybody)
Everybody (Everybody)
Everybody, yeah

It's a time for revival to move past survival, it's time to live!

Here's to staying alive.

Until the next song lyrics...

P.S.: Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...

Are You Miss Bare Minimum?

You are worth the ICE! Intention. Commitment. Effort. Y'all, this is my proof of life. It's been a minute. It's been a tumultuous season, and I guess that I'm not the only one. I am glad though, that I am here to pour out and into you. You've always understood me. And then P!nk's 'Mizunderstood' becomes a backtrack to this conversation. But that's a conversation for another day. A nous allez! Bonjour, bonjour mes amies! Comment allez-vous? I'm taking it one day at a time. Picture this: you’re on a date, and instead of engaging in conversation, your date is glued to his phone, replying to texts that are definitely not from you. Or maybe he’s the ‘textationship’ king, flooding your screen with emojis but never making time for an actual face-to-face meeting. Now this is a good one, he's the convenience pro who gets to see you and spend time with you within his vicinity, and not outside his capacity. Now what do we call that *taps head thinking*...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...