Skip to main content

How Do I Live?

"Sorry, ngiyayethuka!", I apologized. My heart's racing whilst my stomach churns with fear. A colleague had spotted me and just wanted to say hi. How do I explain that I'm not yet over it? He looked at me shocked! I reacted as if it was a stranger who was about to violate me...again!


Post Traumatic Stress



It’s been two months now since I was robbed but every time that I go home, it feels as if it was yesterday.

It was a Friday night when I usually try to cover all my weekend work so that I can enjoy a weekend off. Logistically, I save by not commuting to work over the weekend. So as usual I was working until slightly late. This particular Friday I had made plans to go sleep over at my sister's however since my aunt had travelled that day I had to reschedule.

A cousin of mine was house sitting but due to their history of irresponsibility,someone else had to monitor them. I would handle Friday before allowing someone else to take over until my aunt's return.

I covered my work as I enjoyed some of my favourite music. When I was done I couldn't wait for the weekend. I also had a date but that had to be cancelled due to unforseen circumstances at home.

I decided to wait for my colleagues to round up and close the office so that we would just go home together. Intuitively I wanted to leave earlier instead for waiting for everyone else. But I ignored it and went on to wait. Something inside me felt an eerie feeling of misfortune waiting to happen. It was around 9ish but I told myself to be on a DJ Khaled vibe - only positivity.

Feeling good like James Brown's song, I boarded a combi home. I was chatting with my sister and an aunt who was waiting for me by the gate at home. I remember checking the time at 9.45 pm and letting that aunt know that I was about to drop off by the usual stop.

The neighbourhood is dark due to months of no electricity. The houses that had generators had been switched off. I found comfort in the fact that I was now in the road to our house and there were still people moving about. Besides, this is the high density suburbs where midnight is time to say goodnight. I didn't even think much of it when an unknown car passed me by as I approached home. It was only when the car made an abrupt stop whilst flashing at me that I realised that my safety was compromised.

A man dressed in dark clothes approached me and pulled my handbag. I fought for it whilst screaming with the hope that neighbours would come out. I was right in front of a neighbour's house that had no form of fencing or a wall. My screams were so loud I had hope that whilst I stalled by fighting the robber that rescue would be on it's way.

Alas, the robber dragged the bag along with me still holding onto it. Look my house keys and my phone were in the bag. Those were my priorities at that moment. I would let the robbers have my gold Prada handbag along with my $1.50 and everything else. It wasn't okay but I would have safeguarded what I needed most - access.

The thief dragged me until the car started moving and that's when I let go of the bag. I was confused, how could I let these thieves get away. My heart broke like broken glass as I watched the car speed away. My neighbours decided to come out when all the action had died down. They are like those people who pay attention to the movie at the anticlimax.

My keys? My phone? How am I going to get into the house. The aunt who had been waiting for me was perplexed. She then had to gather strength to console me. I was bruised. My arm. My hip, knees and even palms. The hard earth scraped every layer of safety from me. I felt vulnerable as if I was Cersei Lannister during the walk of shame. The difference - there was no tall, suit of armour to cover me at the end of the shameful walk to clothe me and carry me. I started knocking at neighbours houses looking for a place to lay our heads for the night. After futile trials, auntie and I found refuge at a church member's house,who also happens to be a neighbour.

In the darkness I cried replaying every scene of the dreadful event. I replayed as I rewrote the script. I should have kicked him in the groin and ran straight into a neighbor's yard. Or maybe I should have have thrown stones at the car and the thieves - that surely would have gotten them. Or when I noticed the car turn into our close, I could have hidden at the back of one of the houses that have no walls until it passed by and it was clear to proceed.

I cried, tossed and turned. God has always protected me all these years. I have attended functions and even church conferences where I would be travelling late by public transportation. Never was my safety compromised. I believed that I was always protected by a higher power. Besides once you are in the hood, you are cool.

I managed to get some shut eye only to wake up at the break of dawn. We went to search for my handbag with the hope that since I was literally broke the only thing that they would take is my phone and toss everything else. We searched for a long stretch. Hope was lost.

After some phone calls, my sister came to pick me up. We passed through the police station to report the case. This was just procedure but I had no faith in the police taking the matter any further or investigating the case. We proceeded to drop off aunty before I took refuge at my sister's house.

Fast forward today I am back to the place of betrayal. While they don't owe me anything, I do resent my neighbours. Love thy neighbour only suits them when they need contributions or they want to borrow money or sugar. But when I screamed for help they kept their silence. The hand of the divine did work since no weapons were used neither rape involved. But what if?

I hate this place. Every time I return from work even if it's as early as 6.30 pm or 7, I have to Usain Bolt to our house. The moment that the sun sets while I'm at work my heart beats fast and my stomach is boiling like a volcano about to erupt. Anxiety? Fear? I can't stand to have a car close to me worse still car lights flashing at me. It's worse when I drop off in the hood. My mind is plotting on what inanimate object can I pick up and use as a weapon. I have to play out kicking, punching and biting.

I wish that I had hot sauce in my bag too. I would swing that bat at that creature that tries to further my insecurities. I would punish them for violating not only my physical space but my mental strength. It's hard to explain to people why I can't attend their events even if they are important to me or good for my job. I wrestle with the demons in my head. That unknown face that jumped out of that small white car and took away not only my property but my sense of well-being.

I'm 4 foot 9, I have no form of self defense training. I was often bullied because of my size and if I do fight, I fight with words. Do I still believe in God after all of it? Yes I do. Even as I walk in fear to and from work. I feel safer at work. I feel safer at my sister's house. But not the place that I had called 'home'. Not in the neighbourhood where I believed that 'ubuntu' dwelt - hell no! I feel watched from the moment that I drop off at the bus stop and even as I enter the gate. I am always gasping for air when I enter the house. If I see flashing lights from a car that's passing by, my body stiffens. I crab walk to search for the safest place to wait until that car passes and the coast is clear. I feel death, a little bit, but it's a dark cloud that hovers my head. It's an aching feeling as my eyes well up with tears when I think that I have to go back 'there'.

Nobody knows this but me.

Is this to prepare me for more dangerous cities in the world? Do I have to go through a physical PTSD after recovering from an emotional one? I take it one day at a time. The battle is only mine and mine alone. Nobody knows this but me.

The bigger question is...how do I live like this? For how long will I suffer the torment before regaining peace of mind? Will I ever feel fearless security?

God I want to know, how do I live?

Whilst searching the resolve to all this...

Always write your own love story.

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact

Script My Life: The Greatest Roles

Cheers to a new month, new season and more scripts... I really need new flicks to watch! I will admit that I haven't caught up with the late 2018 and early 2019 movies. But I know that after this blog post, y'all will hook me up. XOXO in advance! We are in the month of August! The second month in the second half of the year! A happy birthday to all the Leos and Virgos! Some of the greats were born this month including my beautiful daughter, Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston. August babies are strong willed and have leadership bred in them. They are just a forceful lot! In the Shona language, August is ' Nyamavhuvhu ' which loosely translated means 'windy'. August babies aren't gentle breezes, they are the tornados and hurricanes; but we love them still! The month itself on this side of the hemisphere is windy! But the wind comes to somewhat renew and pave way for the brief spring season (in Africa, of course!) Wrapping up July, and starting o

The Writings On The Wall

Thou shall move onto the next! And then 'If You Leave' by Destiny's Child and Next starts to play. Gosh, 'The Writings on the Wall' remains my favourite Destiny's Child album, ever. The concept of the '10 commandments' of relationships. Brilliant!  Bonjour, mes amies! Comment ça va? Ça va bien! (Caribbean accent) Your gyal ,  moi , has been experiencing epiphanies. And a few disappointments, but life is too sweet to be upset. Lick your ice cream and have sweet red wine! I travelled through the blogosphere for inspiration for our topic today. Ironically, I also had a discussion with an acquaintance about a similar topic. There's nothing that I love more than people who brag about their intelligence. Oh, my! People pride themselves on their levels of education, often equating it to intelligence. We assess our value based on having degrees, master's degrees, and doctorates. If only those worked in relationships. I think of David Robson's 'W

Chocolate!

Oogling and drooling as I lust after the delicious,yummy chocolate abs of...gush...Trey Songz in a music video. My male friends look at me as if I'm some perverted male...maybe I am. Sadly as a woman such men are just a mirage in a desert full of pot bellied men.Yes,I said it!I believe I speak on behalf of my sisters,who have been termed 'overambitious',and having high standards in the looks department.We would love to see more abs and less flab. Why our brothers keep mount Everests of flesh I fail to understand.Worse still,men boobs that could hold shares in a dairy company. Who would blame me.I become a pervert because Usher's six-pack makes me want to eat of it,or I'm actually envious of Generations' Queen Moroka having 'Muscle man' Lungile,hold her in his arms.Yes,guilty as charged! What my brothers should understand is most women already have stuffed toys,a new addition in the form of a man is not adorable.A little working out w